lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
toddzzz
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 EZ Go Freedom Chip Issue(s)

Brand new forum member - awesome forum...great information.

I'm also a new owner of an EZ Go Electric (bought a 2009 model used), standard, no frills cart, who tried following the directions to upgrade the speed chip.

The electrical configuration (apparently) is different for 2009 than for the previous years.

I haven't purchased or downloaded any of the shop or electrical manuals, but did follow the basic instructions how to locate and modify the controller allowing the increased speed. There's no chip anywhere under the seat / battery compartment.

There is, however, a "chip" underneath the cup holders which, when removed, renders the cart inoperable. If someone will please comment on this I would really appreciate it.

I'm looking to modify the chip to get the extra 3-5 MPH by changing this chip, if its possible.

Thank you..
toddzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EZ Go Freedom Chip Issue(s)

Welcome, what you describe sounds like you have a RXV cart.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Sounds like a RXV cart and the controller has to be programmed to increase speed. All my RXV run 19.8 mph. But all mine are freedom versions.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The "chip" under the dash is not really a chip, but rather a data port. The only way to increase the speed on that cart is to take it to an E-Z-GO dealer and have them reprogram the cart for increased speed.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
toddzzz
Not Yet Wild

Well....first, I would like to say, thank you for sharing your knowledge and second, dang....May I ask, is the RXV more or less a next generation configuration?

I have confirmed, it is definitely an RXV (but not the Freedom Model).

Next question, because the voltage, as a result of the battery series, is now 48 volts, does that eliminate the possibility of my putting on lights that would ordinarily be wired to an auto (only 12volts). If I were to put lights on, would I need some kind of voltage reducer (regulator) ??

And, the lights, if purchased from an EZ-Go dealer, are they special, high voltage type DC lights?

Wait, I just read that the electrical system is all AC, that changes everything, doesn't it?

Sorry for all the questions....and, again, thanks for your help.
toddzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The RXV is (in my opinion) the future of golf cars. E-Z-GO was the first to introduce the AC motor configuration, but they won't be the last. You are going to have to take the cart to a dealer to get the speed up as they are the only ones with the "keys" to that controller. Typical Freedom package items are headlights, higher speed programming, aluminum wheels and upgraded tires.....
Old 07-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

When you go to the dealer, some RXV come equipped with stock voltage reducers in them, so ask questions ahead of time, it may save some cash later.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

YES IF YOU ADD LIGHTS OR 12V ACCESSORIES YOU BEST PUT THEM ON A REGULATOR.

I have had a few come in with them just put on 1 12v battery. This cart is VERY sensitive to voltage. If that one batt is pulled down faster than the rest the cart notices it and the cart will quit. It took me a few times talking to customers on the situation. Called EZGO and they confirmed the issue.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by COURTESYCART View Post
This cart is VERY sensitive to voltage. If that one batt is pulled down faster than the rest the cart notices it and the cart will quit.
Quoted for Emphasis......

I cannot stress this enough...... RUNNING ANY ACCESSORIES ON A RXV YOU MUST INSTALL A DC/DC REDUCER OR YOU WILL SHUT SOWN YOUR CART!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

Also when the cart stops it will throw you INTO the steering wheel. The electric brakes lock up. Trust me, this does not feel good goind 19mph and the brakes lock up. The cart stops and you dont.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO