lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Post 04 EZGO TXT - 4ga & EMP Motor Upgrade Results

I have a completely stock (except lights, turn signals and rear seat) 2004 EZGO TXT and just got done upgrading to an EMP rebuilt motor (single speed motor - not the dual speed I have read others talk about online) and testing results. Figured others would be interested in my results, so here they are.

Please note - I don't know the actual distances of these tests - I simply picked easily identifiable spots on the road in front of my house so that I could easily compare before and after.

Stock:
I average 11mph (according to GPS), peak about 15mph.

After complete set of 4ga cables (batteries, motor, controller, etc):
I average 11mph still, peak about 16mph. I gained a few seconds on my runs here - it seems like it was mostly that I didn't slow down as much on the inclines and it felt a little peppier on takeoff, but none of my tests would actually put that into numbers - my first baseline numbers weren't as accurate as between the next couple stages.

Here are the stats at this stage:
  • From full stop: 54.6secs
  • Return from wide open: 50secs
  • Short run from full stop: 7.2secs

After EMP Motor Upgrade:
I average 18mph now, peak about 21mph. I gained around 12 seconds on my runs here - it seems to be about the same off the line as it was before - perhaps a tiny bit quicker.

Here are the stats at this stage:
  • From full stop: 42.2secs
  • Return from wide open: 38.3secs
  • Short run from full stop: 6.0secs

I hope others find this information useful as I was looking a lot for numbers like these before doing my upgrade and didn't come up with much.

Also, if anyone can point me to a place that goes over the steps and parts needed, etc for switching to 48v, I would appreciate it. I have read some, but just pieces here and there - not exactly a how-to guide. :) From what I have read so far, I will likely go with 6 x 8volt batteries - I will need to wait until my current ones need replacing (wife ya-know). -- Along those lines, anybody know of a good way to speed up the demise of the 6 volt batteries?
davidgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 04 EZGO TXT - 4ga & EMP Motor Upgrade Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgenes View Post
Along those lines, anybody know of a good way to speed up the demise of the 6 volt batteries?
1/8" drill bit on the bottom of each case should do it.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgenes View Post
Along those lines, anybody know of a good way to speed up the demise of the 6 volt batteries?
Baking soda in the battery cells.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just stop putting water in them and charge them alot dry... or do not charge them, run it until it stops and leave it set for a few weeks or more ~ That's what my customers do and it works good.....

Why not just add 2 more used batteries to your pack?
You will need a way to charge them. Either a 48v charger or a second 12v charger. And a 48v solenoid with 470ohm resistor and 3a diode.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
davidgenes
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Why not just add 2 more used batteries to your pack?
You will need a way to charge them. Either a 48v charger or a second 12v charger. And a 48v solenoid with 470ohm resistor and 3a diode.
I suppose I could - there would be room for 1 under the drivers seat, where would the second one usually be installed?

On the solenoid/resister/diode - is that something you could supply me? Possibly charger as well?

So I wouldn't need a controller or F/R switch either?

Sorry for all the questions, but adding 2 used batteries is an idea that could make this a more immediate switchover rather than a "someday" deal!
davidgenes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, emp, motor, stock, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO