lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Cush-man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 02 Ez go electric charging wires ???

Hi Guys,
Its been awhile. Just taking a good look at my under the seat wires the other day and found a wire all along with out being connected. I followed it to the charging connection. There are 3 wires, the black and white wires go to the positive and negitave battery posts. But there is a smaller red wire with a connection head on it..... going no where. Can you please show me where it goes? I've checked out the diagrams and they dont take me to end connection. The cart works fine, is somthing I should be concerned with? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Cush-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 02 Ez go electric charging wires ???

It is likely a bypassed reed switch...... that's okay as long as the white charger wire is connected to the pack with a 50amp fuse
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Cush-man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the quick response. The white wire goes straight to the battery. You said something about a 50amp fuse? What does this mean? Could I be in trouble?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You could be in trouble if you have a problem with the charger..... get the 50a inline fuse to be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4066.jpg (119.1 KB, 27 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Cush-man
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, I'm sold. I'm off to Kragon or Pep-boys to buy one. Just to be on the safe side. As usual I appreciate the wisdom of all out there.
Thank you
Old 10-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

What scottyb said. Plus, since the reed switch is bypassed you may want to start making a habit of routing the charger cord through the steering wheel to remind the operator to unplug before driving. The reed switch when active prevents drive offs while cart is charging.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
scrunner
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

do they make an in-line 50 amp fuse that would work for the charging wire? reading this i realize that i don't have it fused either.
scrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Why does the charging line need to be fused? The reed switch is not a fuse, just an ignition lockout when the charger is plugged into the receptacle.
The charger has a fuse on the DC side and the circuit breaker has a 15 amp fuse on the AC side.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
BLakeside
Gone Wild

Doug
Some people wear a belt and suspenders.
BLakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Why does the charging line need to be fused? The reed switch is not a fuse, just an ignition lockout when the charger is plugged into the receptacle.
The charger has a fuse on the DC side and the circuit breaker has a 15 amp fuse on the AC side.
the theory (as was told to me when I worked for E-Z-GO and we discovered that the factory had installed a fuse without telling the techs in the field) is that if you pull the charger cord out of the charger (by driving off with the charger plugged into the cart since they no longer have a reed switch to prevent this) it is POSSIBLE for the 2 wires within the charger cord to come into contact with each other. By installing a fuse, this prevents the dead shorting of the battery pack (can you imagine all 6 batteries exploding at once????) and a HUGE potential lawsuit against E-Z-GO.

They also mentioned that the fuse would blow in the event of a lightning strike travelling through the charger during the charge cycle which could also explode batteries (and yes, I have seen this happen with my own eyes and had to put out the fire it created).
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO