lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
oletop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1992 Marathon vs. 1995 Medalist

First of all I am new to golf carts. I would like to start by saying thanks for all of the information sharing on this site. I have 2 golf carts. Neither is currently running. I believe the Marathon will run with just new batteries. The reverse alarm sounds when put in reverse. I believe that is all of the power the batteries have. When I bought the cart some of the battery tops were off and they looked completely dry. I am going to try my Dad's batteries from his new cart when I get home just to see what happens. The Medalist was my dad's and he said it just quit one day. It has been sitting in the back of his property for probably about 4 years. After cleaning it up all of the electrical system is rusted and corroded. Is there anyway that I can use parts from the Marathon to fix the Medalist or vice versa. If so which do ya'll recommend I fix up. The Medalist is a series type. I don't know much about golf carts and I have been reading lots of information from the site. Thanks for all of the info. I plan on fixing up one of the carts and putting a lift on it with 23" tires. It will be used mainly around the house and an occasional trip to the hunting camp. Not severe of roading. Thanks, Oletop
oletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1992 Marathon vs. 1995 Medalist

Ole, welcome to BGW. The Marathon should be sold to fund the medalist build. The medalist is a TXT cart. All the modern off road stuff is made for the TXT and not the marathon....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
oletop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can get a refurbished 2006 club car 48 volt lifted with 23" tires for $2700. Is it worth repairing the Medalist? What would be the cost if the motor is good, but the controller and other electrical components need to be changed? I know there are many scenarios, but I am just trying to figure out if I should rebuild or just buy the club car. My dad said that I can have his batteries. They are 2007 batteries and well maintained. That saves some upfront cost.

Thanks,
Oletop
Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

much depends upon the true condition of the cart and what you want it to do when you are done and ..... if you enjoy working on it?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
oletop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just want a cart that I can ride my kids around on and use at the hunting lease. Nothing fancy. I believe the Marathon will be cheaper to get going. I am offshore right now so I can not make a decision until I see what happens when I put the good batteries on the Marathon. If it works with the good batteries then I will probably just keep it. I have seen the member's Marathons and they are quite nice in my opinion. They seem simple and look as though they would suit my needs just fine. I just need to see what is going to happen with good batteries. One question I do have is does someone make a Posi-traction kit for the Marathon.

Thanks,
Oletop
Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a Marathon and I am very pleased with it. The cart was given to me in great condition other than the batterires so it was a no brainer to fix up. Like scottyb said parts are a little harder to find for the Marathon. Motors and controllers are not a problem but accessories like bumpers, brush bars and fender flares are hard to come by. I had to fab a lot of my own stuff on mine.

If the newer cart has the fiberglass body it will weigh less which is a plus. These things are very heavy.

There is not a posi for the Marathon. At least as far as I know and I have looked and looked. However I use my cart hunting and have been through all kinds of mud and slush suprisingly well and have never gotten stuck. It helps I have good tires. IMO the cart will do about 70% of what an ATV would. It will cover most trails not problem it just doesnt do well blazing new ones through the woods.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
oletop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

They are both metal carts. At first glance it looks as though it will be much easier to get the marathon up ang going. On the Medalist the tie rod linkage for F/R lever is frozen and all of the electrical connections are rusted and it seems like it will cost more to get it going. If the Marathon runs when I put the batteries in it I will definitely stay with it. I can do a little fabricating myself. I would sure like a locker though.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Only option for a locker I have found is welding the spider gears. I haven't been able to bring myself to do that.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
oletop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Will the rear end from the medalist fit on the Marathon? If so I may try it out.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Abandoning a TxT for a Marathon is like ... like .... ughhh.
Let me try to explain this a little better.... since you are off shore you probably have time right now....
The marathon was made throughout the 1980s. They were good carts for their time. But their time has passed along with the other technology of the 80s. remember tape players? remember rubic cubes, traveling with a folded road map? polester suits, Pay Phones? Remember answer machines, Camcorders, Walkmans & mullet hair cuts? They are all from the same era.

The TxT was the next generation. They had many suspension and drive train improvements. It was their first platform with easily interchangeable parts. You can buy bolt on accessories from bumpers to rear seats. They make long tops and long travel lift kits ..... it's a whole other world. THey have solid state speed control!!! Step out of the phone booth and take another look at the txt

Whatever you do ~ Enjoy the cart and keep us posted, lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO