lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
Ytee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default No tail lights after installing reducer

I just finished installing a complete set of lights in my 2003 DS as well as an 18A reducer. After installing the lights I tested them with my 12 volt portable battery back, and all the lights worked fine. After installing the voltage reducer, when I flip on the lights only the headlights come on. The yellow side marker lights don't light up, and neither do the tail lights. Very strange. Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated. BTW the avatar isn't the cart in question:)
Ytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: No tail lights after installing reducer

Ill try to help but I have a precedent and the wiring is probably different. I suspect your problem may be with your ground. When you had your lights hooked to an auxillary battery everything worked. When you removed the battery and ran the power through your reducer, the ground to your tailights may have been overlooked. The ground must come from batteries supplying your reducer. You can check with a multimeter if you have one. If not, I highly recommend you get one. The park lights on my cart were wired separately (red and green wires) from my headlights. I ran power through a rocker switch to the power leads going to my front park lights so they operated separate from my head lights. Sorry I cant be more specific but maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Mark
mkbrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

^^^^^ Agree . . . check your ground wire to the other lights first . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Ytee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbrower View Post
Ill try to help but I have a precedent and the wiring is probably different. I suspect your problem may be with your ground. When you had your lights hooked to an auxillary battery everything worked. When you removed the battery and ran the power through your reducer, the ground to your tailights may have been overlooked. The ground must come from batteries supplying your reducer. You can check with a multimeter if you have one. If not, I highly recommend you get one. The park lights on my cart were wired separately (red and green wires) from my headlights. I ran power through a rocker switch to the power leads going to my front park lights so they operated separate from my head lights. Sorry I cant be more specific but maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Mark
Thanks guys. That makes sense, however they are wired through a wiring harness, with of course only the positive and negative coming out of the harness. The reducer only has 3 wires, yellow, (12v), black and red. The black hooks into one end of the series of batteries and another black comes off the same battery post to the lights. The red from the reducer goes to the other end of the batteries, and the yellow connects to the positive from the lights. I can take a pic of the schematic and post it if that helps.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Please post the schematic, that will help.

Mark
Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Ytee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Please post the schematic, that will help.

Mark
Thanx I will later Mark. It's with the cart, which I don't have with me right now
Old 09-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Ytee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
Is it possible the unit itself has to be grounded when I secure it to the frame? Since it's an aluminum frame. that wouldn't be happening. Just a thought
Old 09-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Ytee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytee View Post
Thanx I will later Mark. It's with the cart, which I don't have with me right now
Here it is Mark.
Voltage reducer.jpg
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
mkbrower
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Do you have a volt meter? If you do, make sure your ground is good. Connect your leads to the yelow wire and your ground and see if you read voltage.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Ytee
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Do you have a volt meter? If you do, make sure your ground is good. Connect your leads to the yelow wire and your ground and see if you read voltage.
Yes I have one, but once again I don't have the cart with me. I'll give that a go. I'm assuming it should read in the 12 volt range?
Thanx in advance
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car