lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Georgia Jeff
Not Yet Wild

Default Which Club Car to buy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently own a 99 EZGO electric cart with a bed on the back and am interested in purchasing a newer cart. I am leaning toward a Club Car because of the aluminum frame. I intend to use the cart to drive around mostly around our 5 acre lot on grass with occasional trips through the subdivision on a paved road. I will also take it hunting occasionally which will mean it will have to be able to go down dirt roads and on trails (not to rough, no mud bogging, or rocks, etc).

I have several questions...

1. What should I look for in a used cart other than things that are common sense (cracked housing, broken lights).

2. Is there a certain model Club Car that has a great history of being a dependable cart that has plenty of aftermarket parts available.

3. Is there any model that is better than others?

4. Is there any model to avoid?

Thanks for the help guys. I am enjoying the site.
Georgia Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Which Club Car to buy?

If you want a money pit, buy an older DS model and then spend WAY too much money like me to convert it!

Yes, the beauty is that, even with an old cart like mine (1992) the frame is unrusted and cleans up nicely.

I remember reading one of the threads about a certain model to avoid. Do a search and check out some of the comments. Good luck!
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Precedent early 2008 or prior but try to get one with battery conversion to 6 8 volts. Precedent has a beefy frame and lots of aftermarket parts. Also has a nice plastic battery bucket containing all that corrosion away from the frame.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

The DS carts with the Series motor are great for torque, but are not going to be speed demons without some major electrical work and a gear change.

Stay away from the early non V-Glide models and the models with the 5 solenoids instead of a controller. They are battery hogs and can be a pain in the butt to figure out why they have stopped running judging from the experiences I have had with my '86 DS. I'm in the process of switching over to a controller system from my parts cart on it right now because of the problems I'm having with it and honestly need to have a running cart again.

The DS series has been discontinued for 2013 also. The parts are currently available for them, but in a couple of years from now who knows what will be available.

The PDS and IQ systems in the later model carts produce more speed easier and cheaper from what I have read on here. Those are the ones I would be looking at if I were looking for a new cart.

Either way, check the battery mounting area for corrosion. Both of my electric DS carts have needed the battery mounts worked on before the batteries fell out.

Hope this helps,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Look for one with a Yamaha badge and a gas motor

Sorry, I had to
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
slim67
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
Look for one with a Yamaha badge and a gas motor

Sorry, I had to
slim67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Georgia Jeff,

Scott H is giving some real good advice. I've got a 03 series Club Car and I like it alot but I've also considered selling it to get a Precident.
Good Luck..
Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Georgia Jeff
Not Yet Wild

I like the look of the older club car DS better than the body styling of the Precedent. I just don't like that black bumper all the way around the cart.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Georgia Jeff
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedchaser View Post
Precedent early 2008 or prior but try to get one with battery conversion to 6 8 volts. Precedent has a beefy frame and lots of aftermarket parts. Also has a nice plastic battery bucket containing all that corrosion away from the frame.
I did notice the battery bucket on a 09 Precedent I drove last week. Very nice feature.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Jeff View Post
I like the look of the older club car DS better than the body styling of the Precedent. I just don't like that black bumper all the way around the cart.
I know what you are sayin, I had a 2000 DS and a 2008 Precedent at the same time, liked the DS but as time went, I really felt the DS was out of style, sold that cart and kept the Precedent, never looked back and all is well.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car