lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
willch
Not Yet Wild

Default Need some advice.....

Ok here is what I'm having issues with and was hoping someone could give me some advice on trouble shooting.

Have a 2007 Prec IQ with Curtis controller. As far as I know everything is stock. Last year I replaced the batteries with Trojan 30 xhs ( I think that's right).

My issue is that my run time has dramatically diminished to nothing, like less than 2 miles. I checked the batteries before I started today and they were all over 12v more like 12.2. I tracked my trip on my phone and my top speed was 15.66 and I drove it aprox 1.5 miles before my speed was down to @ 7mph. Got it home and checked the batteries again and 3 of the 4 were 11.4 and number 4 was 11. Rechecked batteries 5 minutes later and they were back up to almost 12 with exception to number 4 which was 11.7. Brakes don't seemed to be dragging so what else could be causing this? I'm not a mechanic by any means but would love some help here. Don't really have any "cart mechanics" close by. Cart is lifted with rear seat and today's trip had 300lb passenger weight. Thanks in advance for any help.
willch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need some advice.....

How are the fluid levels in the bats?
Also, not familiar with that battery, double check they are golf cart bats, I think they would be like trojan 1275 or 1285.

But you have battery problems. Will probably need to do some testing and there is a state of charge chart in the stickies for reference.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Your batteries appear to be the suspects. If you start with 12.2v thats less than 60% charged and once you get into the 11's you are sucking air. Check to make sure the charger is ok, I don't know the batterys you have, usual Trojan replacements for 12v's would be T1275's.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
willch
Not Yet Wild

Bought the batteries at BATTERIES PLUS after telling the guy I needed a set of golf cart batteries. The label just says TROJAN 30 XHS deep cycle 12V batteries. 130 ah @20 hr and 105 ah @ 5hrs. I'm putting them back on charge now. Battery pack voltage currently is 48 V. Using a power drive 2 charger.
willch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

30 XHS is a marine battery and at 66lbs is a light weight compared to a true golf cart battery such as the trojan 1275 at 82lbs. Marine batteries will not produce the range per charge or service life of true golf cart batteries.
Having said that, you should still get longer range than a couple of miles, likely the batteries are shot or you may have a charger issue.

Another thought: I'm not a club car guy but I'm suspicious the Precedent's OBC(on board computer) might not react well to marine batteries.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by willch View Post
Bought the batteries at BATTERIES PLUS after telling the guy I needed a set of golf cart batteries. The label just says TROJAN 30 XHS deep cycle 12V batteries. 130 ah @20 hr and 105 ah @ 5hrs. I'm putting them back on charge now. Battery pack voltage currently is 48 V. Using a power drive 2 charger.
A pack showing 48v is less than 50% charged. Once your charger has switched off unplug the DC from the cart wait 30 secs. then plug it in again, the charger should switch on and the ampmeter should drop to below 5amps. After a few mins. measure the oncharge voltage across the pack, it should be between 56 - 64 v and 14 - 16v per battery.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
Speedchaser
Gone Wild

Get the right bats and start over.
Speedchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with Speed Chaser , get the proper batteries and start over!
You got mislead , marine type batts are never going to work properly in a golf cart
Cheers!

Last edited by Great white north; 02-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
kantuckian
Gone Wild

Agree you need to get rught batteries
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
jantrree
Gone Wild
Club Car

If Batteries Plus sold you the wrong batteries, you should pitch a fit and get them to replace them for nothing more than the difference in price of the batteries. They hold themselves out as professionals and they should know marine batteries will not work in a golf cart.
jantrree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 precedent iq
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car