lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
singlespeeder71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Stock electrics and bigger tires ?

Good morning. I have a bone stock 1994 Club Car DS , 36 volt system. It is the amp controller version. This will be solely for my wife to ride up town on paved roads and an occasional dirt road. She doesnt care about a lift but would like some cool tires and rims. (of course she is happy the way it is , but its the kid in me to change it!) With that being said I was looking at some tire/wheel combos that use a 205/50/10 tire on a 10 x 7 (3+4) wheel or lifting it with a Jakes 3 or 4 inch lift and putting 20 x 10 x 10s on it. Since I dont plan on ever upgrading the electics of the cart, would a bigger tire hurt it in the terms of less torque ? From reading other posts it seems like the cart might run a shade quicker because of the bigger tire. Also, I didnt want it to be squirly in the front end with the wider tire/ lift vs the stock height . Does the lift make it that way ? Thanks, Erik
singlespeeder71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stock electrics and bigger tires ?

The bigger tires will cause torque lose. (It did on my 36v) but you should have a higher top end speed on flat..
I upgraded my 36v to 48v with 500amp and it handles the tires with torque and speed well. That is on the 91 DS.

I'm now in the process of putting on these 205/50/10's on my stock 48v DS IQ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0835.jpg (330.3 KB, 0 views)
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
singlespeeder71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for replying. That is very well what I might due. Im thinking this might be the way to go since I wouldnt want her being unhappy if the lift kit/ bigger wheels might made it drive different than stock. I figure the 10" wheel would look better than the 8" but still have enough sidewall on this tire to provide a good ride.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

The lift will definitely make it drive different from stock IMO. Depending on how well you maintain the suspension and steering, it can be minimized, but even a small lift will change the center of gravity and lift those heavy batteries higher off the ground..

Here is the DS I'm installing the tires/wheels on today and a pic of my 91. I will tell you that with the lift and larger tires, they ride rough. That lowered 02' is almost as fast as my 91' and that is after all the money I put in the 91'. It was all fun.

I was going to do the same with the second cart so I had my buddy grab me a 48v thinking I would strip and rebuild. NO WAY!! This little stock dude is in great shape electronically and has way more stuff on it that we thought. I stole the thing for $800 then new batt's for $550. I'm less than $2K (including new tires/wheels) and it stays up with the other. Wife says the Harley one is her's..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0803.jpg (514.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cart in Yard Feb.2011.jpg (757.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
singlespeeder71
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That is a steal! Well, with what you just said I think youve made up my mind for me. Ill go with the 205s. That way ill have be able to spend the lift money on electric upgrades!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Electric upgrades are great and there is a lot you can do. As some started in another thread, the $'s add up. LOL. We become junkies and just keep adding. I'm sure I will put more money into the new cart then I want, but it sure is fun. I have to admit, the lowered cart with 205's drives nice. Wife & I took it for a spin to the store yesterday and she loved it. Way smoother than the lifted with 22's. :-)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car