lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Tim_FL
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2009 Club Car President just stopped working :(

Hi everyone new member here !! Sorry this has to start as my first post however I tried all of the sites search functionality and I'm resorting to begging for help !!

After a looong wait I purchased an absolutely beautiful 2009 lifted Club Car President YESTERDAY. The owner is a really nice guy and the car looks bran dnew. Extremely well taken care of.

Here's the deal, I got it yesterday and drove it all around all day. Did I mention I love it . Once evening came I turned on the lights as I headed home approx. 3 miles from my house, my batteries were so low that the headlights shut off about a mile from my house where I limped in to the point that I had to push it up my drive way and into the garage . I put the charger on it (7:30PM) and it started at 15amps and by 6:00AM this morning it was at 5 amps, I came home from work 5 PM and it was off.

Like a kid on Christmas I disconnect the plug and proceeded to back it out of the garage, the alarm went off as I put in in reverse and I slowly backed down the 40'drive way. I stopped the car put it in forward and proceeded forward, I got to exactly 5MPH on my GPS when there was two sputters like a switch turning off and on quickly and the entire cart shut down. The headlights\taillights work but nothing else, if I put it in reverse there is no sound. Unsuccessfull in figuring it our I put it in tow and pushed it home. I then searched and searched this forum where I read about solenoids. When I now try to start it I hear nothing, I hear a little click that is coming from the gas pedal when I push it but I think that noise is more the linkage in the pedal as I believe the solenoid is behind a plate in my battery compartment. Is it possible that I ran it soo low that I demagnetized something ? Thoughts ?? I did call the previous owner and this has never happened to him.

Thanks so much for the help !!! This is my new favorite website !
Tim_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2009 Club Car President just stopped working :(

Welcome to the forum!
You came to the right place for golf cart questions...
How old are your batteries? It seems like they did not charge, so when you took it out in the morning it only went for a short time...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Tim_FL
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hello, thank you for he reply, they are 4 years old. They are showing fully charged, individually and as a PAC.
Tim_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Dadog70
Getting Wild

Club Car

I am New on here to but I did read on here about hooking your meter up to your main positive and main negative post and run the cables so you can view the meter why you operate your cart and see what the pack shows when pushing the pedal in forward. This determines if your batteries are good/bad.

I also read about a 15amp fuse between the OBC and the controller.

I am no expert on carts but I have read post on here that also helped me to determine that my speed sensor was bad.
Dadog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . four year old batteries, depending on how well they were maintained, could be on the way out . . . batteries need to be load tested and cells need to be checked . . . one bad battery/cell could be the culprit causing what you are experiencing . . . start with checking batteries to either prove/disprove they are the main issue first . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Stevegrmich is right. The batteries were harmed FOR SURE when you did what you did the first night. Especially turning the lights on after they were too deeply discharged and taking them to 100% discharge. That's a big no no. You should never discharge your batteries entirely. On my 48v system, I NEVER go below 48.0 volts on my state of charge meter. For the first 20 or more discharges, you shouldn't go below 49.5v or so as you break them in.

You likely put a lot of components under a lot of stress running until it died. Check every connection with a close look and a wiggle for tightness, for corrosion. Look for a burned or broken wire around the motor terminals. I've had that! It ran until I climbed a steep hill and it got hot and I smelled it, stopped and saw it running on about 1 strand of wire with a burnt plastic casing around it.

Beyond that, check the pack voltage when fully charged, each battery voltage individually and let us know what you find.

7CLUB
7CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadog70 View Post
I am New on here to but I did read on here about hooking your meter up to your main positive and main negative post and run the cables so you can view the meter why you operate your cart and see what the pack shows when pushing the pedal in forward. This determines if your batteries are good/bad.

I also read about a 15amp fuse between the OBC and the controller.

I am no expert on carts but I have read post on here that also helped me to determine that my speed sensor was bad.

Dadog, you're no expert on PM either! haha. Your profile is set to NOT receive PM's back. Sorry to borrow the thread, but you inquired about my controller. Post on the For Sale link if you're still interested. Thanks for allowing this commercial message. Now, back to your regular scheduled programming...
7CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car