lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default cart doesn't want to "creep" (run at slow speeds)

noticed over labor day at a massive flea market that my cart would absolutely not creep as slow as the other golf carts. I was constantly hitting the gas, then it would get going too fast and have to let off. very annoying for me and my buddies riding with me. every other golf cart seemed to have no problem going very slow (gas, lifted, not lifted, 2 strokes even). I occasionally heard a squeaking when I took off, so I am guessing its my drive belt? the one that is on the clutch.

It seems like when I watch it with teh seat off like it doesn't engage as quickly as it should so by the time it does the motor is going faster. I figure its probably stretched so I was wondering does this sound like it makes sense?

and does everybody have good luck with any ebay belt or should I go OEM?

99 club car 290 motor 23" tires 6" lift
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: cart doesn't want to "creep" (run at slow speeds)

Adjust your throttle linkage and cable first.

Turn the key off and remove the cover to the black box. sloooowly press the pedal and note when the microswitches click. Also note when the throttle cable starts to move at the carburetor.

I like to set it up with about an inch of pedal travel before the cam rotates enough so the microswitches in the black box click. Another 1/2" of pedal travel before the cable begins to move at the carb.

The microswitches are what tell the starter/generator to turn on and start turning the motor. If the carb begins to open at the same time or even before the starter starts to turn, then you're already at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle before the motor ever even starts running to begin with. When they click off, it kills spark to the coil so the engine will shut off. thus no low speed operation, and your "on and off" symptoms at low speed. Properly set up, you can nearly walk faster than the cart will drive

Also check to make 100% sure the cable between the governor and the carb is VERY VERY free moving. If it hangs up or sticks at ALL then replace it as this can cause the carb to not shut all the way as well, with a similar result, though if the cable is an issue it will also usually (though not always) be accompanied by engine backfire, or dieseling (engine runs the opposite direction when you stop and it shuts off).
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

I will look at this this evening. figured it was a belt since it has never been changed but might as well try this since it doesn't require me waiting on parts. thanks.

i will start with your settings and go from there
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
I will look at this this evening. figured it was a belt since it has never been changed but might as well try this since it doesn't require me waiting on parts. thanks.

i will start with your settings and go from there

I'd bet dollars to donuts you'll find the carb starts to open before the microswitches click/starter starts to turn.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Like CP said, check adjustment of the throttle cables first.

Could also be that your primary clutch is sticking. Sometimes removing the outer sheave and giving it a good cleaning inside can help with that. Sometimes a total rebuild is required. If the sheaves have a wavy appearance don't bother with a rebuild, just replace the clutch.

A Cheap belt is just that. I prefer OEM belts. The 1017188 is CCs heavy duty version and I use it on all of my gas carts.
You don't have to buy OEM to get a good quality belt. There are some other Severe duty belts that are good, but they also cost quite a bit more than OE. But with a lifted cart and big tires a good belt can make a Huge difference.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for all the good advise here. I have been struggling to get speed from my 04 Precedent and i think this info will solve my low speed issues that have developed as a result of my adjusting.

CP241, You said "I'd bet dollars to donuts"...funny that is a phrase i use as well. That is until I was reminded that most doughnuts can cost more than a dollar these days. We showing our age... lol....Al
Yzshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #7
Yzshooter
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Guys for the good advise.....I checked the opening of my throttle in relation to the micro switch and the throttle was a little ahead of the switch. I adjusted the cable to hear the click and the the throttle open and now the jerking at low speed is gone and i can creep along fine. I do however feel like I have lost some speed when trying to pull hills though. Any thoughts on what to do to regain the torque (which wasn't much to begin with) compared to my G16.

Thanks, Al
Yzshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:40 AM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I always adjust the throttle cable at the black box to get the best slow speed operation, then adjust the governor to give more top end speed. To disconnect the RPM Limiter is an individual choice. Keep in mind its there to limit engine RPM to what Club Car (rather conservatively) considers prudent on a cart designed for 10 - 12 mph on a golf course.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:49 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You can lightly apply a zip tie on the governor spring (the little fat spring that is on the cable between the black box and the governor) and it will pick up quite a bit of speed depending on how tight you get it.

If you put it all the way tight it will probably bounce off the rev limiter so you'll have to play with it to get just the right amount of tension for maximum speed without hitting rev limiter.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Once you get that throttle adjusted properly, if you still want a little more creep you can always machine the secondary to get the belt to ride a bit higher, and add a stiffer secondary spring to keep it there longer. Always a good improvement with the larger tires.
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car