lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
baseball11jb
Not Yet Wild

Default Kawasaki FE350D Engines

I’ve got a club car that has a Kawasaki FE350D-DS11 I’m in the midst of rebuilding. I have two FE350D-AS11 engines in broke down carts I’d like to pull pets from since the rebuild kits are so difficult to find. Both of these motors were discontinued since club car switched to Subaru motors. I can’t find information on either of those motors to compare. They also make a AS12 model but since I don’t have spec sheets on the 11’s I can’t compare and Kawasaki and Club Car no longer have information the 11. So my question. Are the 11 series the same and/or is there another Kawasaki engine rebuild kit I could use for the 11 series?

FYI: I personally would scrap the motor and just get a new one but the owners don’t want motors swapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baseball11jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Kawasaki FE350D Engines

If you're doing work for somebody else, please dont use old engines and parts to rebuild and cobble together a customers engine. That's just unprofessional. If it's for yourself just to play it's one thing but if that cart is going to end up in someone else's possession, not so much.

New parts are readily available and easy to find. Call david hicks of revolution golf cars and he can get you anything you need. (706) 431-3917

Just because club car switched to a different motor doesnt mean Kawasaki discontinued them.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What year and what kind of cart did this engine come out of?

Nothing really wrong with “used” parts, but it depends what you’re using.
The weakest link on the 350 is the link rods that attach the counter weight to the crankshaft. The outer rod is frequently starved of oil and will trash the crankshaft journal when it fails. If that’s what failed in this engine, you are better off to replace the crankshaft assembly than to put a used one in a customers cart, because the used part is likely to have a similar failure.
Last I checked that crankshaft assembly was around $850 without the rod or piston. Piston, rod, if needed are probably another $175-$200.
Yes it’s a little pricey, but if the customer wants to retain that engine that’s really the best approach other than to find an entire used engine.

The main difference in the Fe350s was the automatic compression release. It either had ACR or did not. The heads, camshaft, and valve train were different on ACR vs Non-Acr engines.
The entire engine is interchangeable, but if you have to replace the engine it’s best to match what the cart had originally.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

46102-2079 part number for the 350 link rods. You'll have to press off the gear to get to it, which isnt a big deal but the crank shaft is serviceable

The only "used" part I'd use in a different motor would be like a head to replaced one thats damaged or something. Maybe a crankshaft depending on the circumstances. Otherwise the parts tend to wear together. And itll work fine for a while but wont last. New internal parts arent real expensive so I like the peace of mind turning something over to someone else that I know isn't going to have problems in a few months or a year. But i got the impression looking for "rebuild kits" being piston, rod, rings, etc. I've got no problems RE-using a rod on the crankshaft it came from, but I'd never put a used rod on another crank. And if I have to remove a piston, I wont usually even re-use the rings in the same motor. For ~$25 for a new set of OEM rings, I'd rather replace them while I'm already there. One less thing to worry about.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
baseball11jb
Not Yet Wild

CP241: I'm a maintenance mechanic at a Country Club. We have carts that range from 89-16. The bosses like to use what we have before going new. If I was doing this for an actual customer I would have either swapped the motor or let them take it somewhere else. I hate patching problems and its bad service. Wouldn't go this route if I didn't have to.

Fair: It's a 2007 Carryall 252. The manual says it came with a AS11. DS11 is in it now. Backstory, about two months ago was ran without oil for about half a day. Began having carb issues and got much louder last week. Carb completely filled air filter housing and box (box that runs from underneath the air filter housing, under the driver side, to behind the dash) with gas. Fixed the carb, drainded the Air filter housing. when i checked oil it was grey so drained oil and found shavings in bottom of crank case. My guess is worn out rings started issue and haven't gotten into motor yet to see extent of the problem. Was trying to get my ducks in a row before tearing apart three engines to make one.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If it was run low on oil the counterbalance weight link rods are toast. Theyll go long before rings and give you a nice aluminum slurry
Old 03-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

From the little bit that I've researched between the the AS11, DS11, and AS12, it seems that they're all identical parts wise,
they're all for a pedal start cart (no ACR), but maybe the model numbers may have changed due to the years or application they were built for.
Kawasaki hasn't changed much about them for some 15 odd years now!

I could be wrong, but it won't be by very much.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
baseball11jb
Not Yet Wild

cp241: Brilliant. not an ideal situation but now i know what i'm looking at.

Lock: Thanks. exactly what i wanted to know!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car