lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 99 EZ Go Starving for fuel

I have a 99 EZ Go workhorse with 350cc. After running for 15 minutes or so the cart starts to sputter/backfire and act like it is short of fuel. You can pull the choke and it tries to run but not well at all. I pulled the line going to the carb from the pump and the flow does not seem like much just a small steady drip. Is this correct? I have replaced all the fuel lines and pump lines. new fuel filter, lashed valves a while back (have not done in a month or so) compression checked at 145-150. I have removed the carb and cleaned very well again just a few days ago. Cart also seems to get very hot. Any thoughts or ideas here?

Thanks,
SAR Dad
Sardad5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 EZ Go Starving for fuel

Most of the time a hot cart does indicate a lean condition so your headed in the right direction if in fact fuel volume is the issue... I have seen several threads here on the same thing and fixed several carts with the same issue. Have you taken your pump apart to see if any trash has collected in it? Also, I would check the pulse line from the crankcase to make sure no oil has deposited in the line... I would also have a look at the pickup in the tank to make sure it hasn't picked something up and to make sure it has no cracks in it.... Good Luck and I hope you find it!
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

EZ Go GO,
I have replaced the orginal metal pump with a briggs plastic pump as the metal one was not doing anything. I pulled the crankcase hose off and it seems like it is pulling a pretty good vacuum and that hose is brand new as well. I will check the pick up tube in the tank and look for cracks. I assume the fuel should be pumping much harder than a steady drip then correct?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JUst pulled the pickup tube and no cracks or clogs. Also ran the cart again and seems to run pretty good till heat up and then seems to go down on power. Did not wait till sputtering started but definately seems to lose power. Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

You should have a good steady stream instead of a drip.. It sounds like you've covered everything b/w the tank and the carb.... Maybe a float setting or possibly something missed in the carb... Is this problem at low speed or at higher speeds or does it matter?
Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

EZ Go Go
It does not seem to matter once it gets hot. High or low speed. It just seems to start losing power after 10-15 minutes and then it just will not run. I can wait 20-30 minutes and it will start again.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Sardad5
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

EZ Go Go
It does not seem to matter once it gets hot. High or low speed. It just seems to start losing power after 10-15 minutes and then it just will not run. I can wait 20-30 minutes and it will start again.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

10 to 15 min. of solid run time seems to rule out the fuel issue to me... If the condition was leaning toward a lean mixture it would seem like it would do it all the time and definitely not take that long to show up... Also the cool down phase and then start up steers me away from a fuel issue even more.. It almost sounds like one of your ignition components is giving up on you... Just so we are on the same page, the cart runs fine for that first 10 to 15 minutes right?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
dieseldub
Not Yet Wild

sounds like you are buring the fuel out of the carb bowl when its running good for the first 15 min then the fuel supply doesn't replenish to right volume/height in the bowl. when you wait the 15 min, it gives enough time for gravity drain the fuel line into the carb bowl. i would steer towards fuel pump / float settings / needle valve (not sure if thats the right name but thats what im going to call the thing that lets fuel into the bowl). to help troubleshoot rig up a temporary gravity feed system. take the supply line off the fuel pump, attach it to an approved gasoline container and hange it directly above the motor. just a thought. i havent worked on the workhorse so i dont know how it is exactly set up but i spent some time wrenching on a txt. also next time you take apart your carb, check the spring action on the needle valve, movement of the float, and the tab the hits the needle valve on the float.
dieseldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
dieseldub
Not Yet Wild

the cart is running on both cylinders when its running rough right?
dieseldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO