lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Trkyhntr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 85 CC rear fluid level for top trans ?

Hi all,

My first post as I am the new owner of a 1985 Club Car that appears to be all original. Went thru the carb, degreased everything, changed fuel filters, and changed all of the fluids. I had read several posts and though none hit on the 85 model, one had said

"Transmission: 20 oz of 80W-90 API class GL-3, 80W-90 AGMA Class 5EP
Rear end: 22 oz same oil as tranny."

The rear end on mine has the drain and fill plug on the passenger side. The transmission ( top gear box ? ) had the drain plug on the passenger side, and the fill plug on the drivers side. The fill plug was a rubber plug.

My question is I used 2 bottles of 85-90 as it was on hand. In the rear end I filled to bottom of the fill plug and closed it up like any other gear box. On the tranny, I probably put 40 to 42 ounces in and it did not get up to a level where I could feel it with my finger. Are you supposed to be able to touch the fluid in the tranny, or just guess at approx. 20 ounces? I did not see a level check plug or did I miss it? Is the oil I put in okay to run for awhile, or do I need to get the 80W90 in it right away?

I did get it started and drove it around the yard a little tonight and all seems to be well , but do not want to run it much until I know I have the level right in the tranny.

Thanks for all the great info in the forums, as I read as many as I could, and thanks for any relies I get. Will get some pictures up soon.

Tully
Trkyhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 85 CC rear fluid level for top trans ?

As long as the type is correct and the viscosity is a little higher, I would not worry about it. In fact, on a 25 year old cart, it is probably better.

Unless your running a lot in very very cold winter temps, <0, I don't think you would have any problems running 120 weight. I have seen many gear boxes that should have had 90 weight, that have had a mix of wheel bearing grease and 90 weight because the seals are shot and someone didn't want to pull it apart and replace the bearing and seal. When you get a 50/50 mix of wheel bearing grease and 90 weight you have a mix that will not easily run out of a bad seal.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Trkyhntr
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 85 CC rear fluid level for top trans ?

Thanks for the info, BTW I looked at the bottles that I put in this morning, as I didn't think 85W90 sounded right, and it wasn't. I put in 85W140.

Still wondering if I put in enough or too much though!
Trkyhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car