lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
chachi44089
Getting Wild

Default Worn out drive clutch?

I think I may have a worn out drive clutch. Here is whats going on...I have adjusted everything I can on my cart to get a little more speed out of it. It is running great and just under the rev limiter, but the fastest I can go is 11mph and 12 down a slightly graded road and I hit the limiter on that. I put the cart in service mode and with the pedal to the floor I noticed the top of the drive belt is about 3/4 of an inch from the top of the drive pulley. Could this be my problem? Is it an easy "cheap" fix? How hard is it to pull the clutch? Do I need to pull it to check or fix it? I would love to go 13-14mph.. Any help appreciated.
I forgot to add that I have a 93 Club Car gas with fe290..
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Worn out drive clutch?

if its only going down 3/4 of an inch yes thats a problem, the only fix i know of is a new clutch or good used one.........they used to make rebuild kits for some of them but i can,t tell you off hand if theres one for yours or not............................whatever you do no oil or grease on clutch..................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
vzdude
Gone Wild

Either buy, or borrow a clutch removal tool, and send the clutch to Tom @ Cart Parts Plus . They are a sponsor on the site here and a heck of a nice guy too! He rebuilt my drive clutch and machined it at a very reasonable price. Much cheaper than a new one or even a used one!
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzdude View Post
Either buy, or borrow a clutch removal tool, and send the clutch to Tom @ Cart Parts Plus . They are a sponsor on the site here and a heck of a nice guy too! He rebuilt my drive clutch and machined it at a very reasonable price. Much cheaper than a new one or even a used one!
I concur with this idea...Mine was doing the same thing.. 3/4 " from the top hitting the rev limiter and SLOW speed. Had Tom at CCP rebuild and had him do the speed option!! Couldn`t be happier with the new operation and speed!!

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
chachi44089
Getting Wild

Sounds good. But, what kind if cash are we talkin'? Tight budget here..
Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
adr
Gone Wild
Club Car

he machines them for $50, the site doesnt say but i would guess you pay for the shipping to and from
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
PIB-My-Ride
Getting Wild

Club Car

keep in mind guys, he's talking the DRIVE clutch. (belt goes UP, not down)

I had the same issue, but after buying the puller, an extension for the impact gun, shipping it to Tom and having the whole thing rebuilt, it was NOT a "cheap fix". (I think my rebuild was around $160?)

very worthwhile though - it doubled the speed of my cart.
PIB-My-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIB-My-Ride View Post
keep in mind guys, he's talking the DRIVE clutch. (belt goes UP, not down)

I had the same issue, but after buying the puller, an extension for the impact gun, shipping it to Tom and having the whole thing rebuilt, it was NOT a "cheap fix". (I think my rebuild was around $160?)

very worthwhile though - it doubled the speed of my cart.
Yes the drive clutch!! He stated he put it in service mode and watched the belt go "UP" to within 3/4 " of the top, same as I did with mine. And yes it is about a $160 to have it all done, but its hard to buy a used one for that much. With the speed mode done to the clutch he should get 15 to 19 MPH depending on his cart setup.

CartTrader
Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
chachi44089
Getting Wild

Thanx for the input guys..Think I will be sending it in..Is there a "best" way to remove the clutch? I know I need the puller tool.. Looks pretty tight in there..Do I need to pull the engine or drop the suspension? I am disabled and would like to make this as "painless" as possible.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as you get a clutch puller. You can take it out with removing anything more than the belt itself. An impact wrench will be invaluable too!! You can get to the clutch from just under the frame to use the clutch removal tool.

CartTrader
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car