lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
9ballpimp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 Marathon Air Intake Modification

Hey guys...So I'm working on my first cart project, which is a 1989 EZ GO Marathon, 2-cycle. I was thinking about doing a couple mods, and wanted to get some opinions:

(1) Modify the air cleaner canister so that I can use a K&N filter (like this one). I'd just need to remove the center rod, add a new way to secure the canister down, and slightly enlarge the bottom inlet in the canister (using the above filter, only going from 2" to 2 1/16").

(2a) Add a small electric fan between the body and the air inlet box to force more air into the carb.

(2b) Relocate the air inlet box to the side of the cart, then add a small scoop with a screen on the outside of the body, so it would act similar to a hood scoop on an old muscle car. I would think this would get way more air, rather than going through the firewall, which does not have a large airflow when in motion.

Has anyone tried any of the above? What do you think? Thanks!!!
9ballpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 Marathon Air Intake Modification

I have a '90 Marathon with the 3PG and I removed the canister surronding the air filter. I put a fender washer under the wing nut to secure the filter, it is more of a open element air filter now. I think it can breathe a little better than trying to suck air through that small hole in the firewall. I have also read where people install the air filter directly on the carburetor, eliminating the air intake hose completely. The scoop sounds pretty cool, if you do it be sure to post some pics!
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just yanked the 3PG out of my 92. The other night I was looking at the air intake system & wondering what the air box behind the vent was all about. There were 2 air boxes in it. One at the vent that was bolted to the front wall & completely sealed up except for a hose to the 2nd box at the carb with an air filter in it. No clue what that first box is for.

I think I'm going to go with a flex hose off the carb to a No Toil open element bolted in place by the vent. Should be a lot more air than stock & get rid of a lot of extra crap under the seat.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
9ballpimp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

@AirJunky - IMO, the "first box" is cut that way to allow for more airflow, and to allow FRESH air. I personally am not crazy about removing that piece (I'd rather just move it to my "scoop" idea), because I want fresh air pushing into the carb, instead of the filthy air from the engine compartment itself.

I've always been told that all air is NOT the same.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea, agreed that you want fresh air goin into the engine. I thought maybe that extra box would keep water from making it into the system. But the way the air had to snake thru the first box, down the induction tube to a second box, I figured there was plenty of time to heat up before it actually made it to the carb. Maybe not.

Most K&N setups in cars & bikes have some sort of barrier between the engine & the air cleaner, somewhat isolating the air going into the air cleaner from the heated engine air. But it's still an open element in the engine compartment. I did it on my Chevy Avalanche & had some minor improvement in mileage & noise, maybe even a little more power. I like that fact that using the K&N / No Toil system, I can clean the cloth filter, re-oil it & drop it in place rather than buying new elements all the time.

The scoop idea is probably a good one if it's done right. Having the intake right behind the front tire probably isn't the best place for it if you play in the dirt much. Maybe relocating it up behind the seat would be better?
Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
9ballpimp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah, I did that too on my old vehicle...I even added a tornado into the air intake, which actually helped too!

Depending on if I take off the roof or not, then behind the seat may be a good place. I want it to blend in, so I'll have to see. Given that I don't expect to be playing in the mud, that may not be an issue. Fabrication is a ways away on this project, though. I still have to go through the motor first. It runs, but not 100% by any means. But as we get it running, I want to get everything out of it that I can.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

On my 85' Marathon,I took the hose from carb to air-box,unhooked the air-box,routed the hose upwards,and used a "pancake" filter for custom motorcycles(K&N clone)it has a rubber back with a nipple for the hose,about 2" element around the circumfrence,and a chrome lid bonded on top.It sits just under the seat,with the lid towards the seat.It stays dry(even in mud and deep water,you don't want to be that deep anyway,or you'll fry your starter.Any outside ventilation will help cooling,but you won't notice a difference with the air-flow helping power.Using a fan to push air into the filter will require carb-mods since it will lean it out(2-strokes can add some oil to help too).Remember that if you are dealing with a stock-motored cart you have 8-9hp.You aren't gonna turn it into a fire-breathing monster with some simple tweaks.I've done a lot with 2pg clutches and that is a big gain.Carb upgrading and pipes are the next steps.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think your motor is a little different than mine but here is what I did, maybe it will give you an idea. I removed the entire air box and oil injection system. In it's place I put a big car battery. Then I simply turned the air intake hose attached to the carb backwards and used a hole saw to get through the bagwell. I reused the aluminum 90 degree elbow from the bottom of the air box to mount the K&N with the precharger. It gets more fresh air than it needs, performance improved, but it is much louder.

You can see the hose in the bottom right of this picture.
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
cdodd3
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

check out mine that i just got done with.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...ir-filter.html
cdodd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nicely done, tguellich. Did you notice any performance difference at all? Make any more noise when you accelerate?

BTW, look like someone spilt their beer in that top pic.

Tags
air, inlet, intake, modification
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO