lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #11
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Default Re: 86 ezgo Marathon No Spark issue!

I had the same symptoms with a small spark when I pressed and released the pedal. It turned out that the connector from the ignitor coil was not making good contact with the mating connector.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well by now I hope that you have done as I suggested in post 2 and checked the integrity of each connector. As you can see from 1989Marathon this is an issue.

Let us start with an easy measurement,
Either jack up the rear wheels or remove the drive belt. Now connect the negative of your meter to the negative of the battery and the positive to the 12 volt connector on the coil. This will be the wire that goes to the solenoid. Now with the key on and the accelerator depressed the engine should crank and you should see between 11 and 12 volts. If this is correct then we will test the pulsar
Exiting the bottom front of the engine will be a pair of red and blue wires. These are the trigger signals to the ignitor. Find the connector and take it apart. Now with your meter set to 200 ohms measure across these wires looking into the pulsar. You should see between 75 and 150 ohms. If this is correct then remove one meter probe and touch it to the engine body. You should see infinity ohms. Now replace the probe and do the same with the other probe. This will ensure that neither wire is grounded to the engine, which in fact was one of my problems. Now set the meter to the lowest ac volts range you have and reconnect across the pulsar. With the engine cranking you should see about 1/2 volt.
Try that and report back and we will get you running.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ok dave, i went through all the things you said to. im getting 12 volts to the coil when i crank the engine, but i cant get any ohms out of the pulsar. and when i crank it, there are 0 volts coming through. so im thinking the pulsar is shot?
87ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well it could be or it could be a broken wire or damaged crimp in the socket. I think that we need to be sure as changing the pulsar is both expensive and nauseous. I would suggest that you have a good look around including under the engine where the wires come out.

If you are sure that it is the pulsar then shout out and we will get it fixed.

Dave
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

well good news!! i poped off the flywheel and whatta you know one of the wires going to the pulsar coil was snapped off. i resoldered it and am in the process of reassembling the whole thing as we speak. Thanks so much for your help so far! Ill report back in a while, and let you know if she runs.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

87, I don't know you but I have to say you're my HERO if you really just "popped" the flywheel off .... Hey Dave, between the two of us, whaddya figure we spent time-wise removing ours, hahaha ?!?!

Just an FYI, a little shrink tubing will go a long way on that solder joint if it's in the middle of a wire, you want to be sure it doesn't have the ability to ground out or short if it gets damp, etc

Hope that wire was your problem!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #17
87ezgo
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Well actually it was really easy. My dad has a puller his work makes for all types of air pumps they build. so i adapted it to work for pulling the flywheel off the cart, by fabin some angle iron so it would bolt up to where the fan bolts on the flywheel. now i cant imagine trying to get the flywheel off without this tool. also a little more news... ITS RUNNING!! I cant thank you guys enough on this forum, i dont know what id do without ya! also i threw a pic of when i got it home.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Brew City is right, between the two of us we must have over 1 man week invested in removing flywheels. To hear of someone "just popping a flywheel off" throws me into a fit of jealousy. Still it is a lesson I continue to learn; you can't beat having the right tools. I used a NAPA steering wheel puller which wasn't quite manly enough for the job.

Anyway well done 87, a zero cost fix and a running golf cart, enjoy your toy.

Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO