lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
brucehewett1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1992 ignition coil

My cart is having intermittent spark once warmed up and I have narrowed my problem down to a faulty ignition coil. I read on other threads to replace with a newer style with a built in igniter. Before I order one I want to be sure what to get. My cart is a 1992 club car. It seems to me I can just get one for a 1997 club car and that is it. I guess the engines are basically the same but with a more efficient combo coil design. Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly or should I just get the original design. Thanks.
brucehewett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
fastercarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1992 ignition coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehewett1 View Post
My cart is having intermittent spark once warmed up and I have narrowed my problem down to a faulty ignition coil. I read on other threads to replace with a newer style with a built in igniter. Before I order one I want to be sure what to get. My cart is a 1992 club car. It seems to me I can just get one for a 1997 club car and that is it. I guess the engines are basically the same but with a more efficient combo coil design. Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly or should I just get the original design. Thanks.
Hi Bruce. Your igniter is probably sitting behind the RPM limiter on the 92 model year. You can disconnect or remove it completely and fit the later combination coil/igniter with no problems.
Item 18 here;http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ngine2bw6.jpg/
Item 9 on this one; http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...epart2qo1.jpg/

FC.
fastercarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehewett1 View Post
are you certain its not the ignitor/rpm litor ??? coils on that year are almost bullet proof and when they go they just go 99% of the time..............how did you determine it was the coil?...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
brucehewett1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Someone already removed the rpm limiter. I just acquired this cart and previous owner said they just had the ignitor replaced so I did not consider it to be bad. I disconnected the kill wire and still had intermittent to no spark after the engine warmed up. I decided to replace the coil with original type and it ran great for a minute then no spark.....ugh. So I took the ignitor off and ran cold water over it, put it back on and it worked. I then decided to relocate ignitor to the inside of the cart frame to keep it away from a heat source and all is well. I guess you can't buy quality electronic parts anymore. Thanks to all.
brucehewett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its a crap shoot getting good parts now-a-days.................i,m not surprised it was ignitor cause sitting where they do heat just isn,t good for them.......................
Old 01-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
buoymarker
Not Yet Wild

i couldnt get any fire from the ignition coil and took it off the cart to replace. is that small wire at the bottom a kill switch wire? if so, maybe i should put it back together and go a different route.
buoymarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

are you talking about the single wire from coil? the one that runs to ignitor/rmp limitor?.......in a perfect world you want it hooked up.............................
Old 01-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
buoymarker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
are you talking about the single wire from coil? the one that runs to ignitor/rmp limitor?.......in a perfect world you want it hooked up.............................
yes, the one wire on the bottom of the ignitor/coil. it was connected and i didnt think much about it except for maybe it was a ground. that wouldnt stop it from firing from the lead would it?
im very new at this. thanks

Last edited by buoymarker; 01-22-2012 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: oops
Old 01-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i beleive you can leave the brown wire disconnected and cart will run however if you do you should put a tach on the cart as its not good at all to over rev these things.................................
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
buoymarker
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i beleive you can leave the brown wire disconnected and cart will run however if you do you should put a tach on the cart as its not good at all to over rev these things.................................
this wouldnt prevent the coil from igniting.? is there a way to check the coil..?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car