lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
MountainBob
Not Yet Wild

Question 2012 Yamaha "The Drive" only goes 6-10MPH

I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2012 Yamaha gas-powered golf cart. I have only had it now for 2 days but it is sooooooo slow that I tested the speed with both a TomTom GPS unit and my Android app phone which calculates speed based on the GPS satellites. The golf cart averages 6-10MPH. As soon as you start going down a slight incline, the governor must shut the gas off and the engine idles. The cart then slows to about 6MPH before the engine starts increasing and then the golf cart goes to about 8-10MPH maximum. It's driving me crazy. The cart will go up the steepest hill in my community and still maintain 8MPH but I can't stand that it only goes 8-10 on a flat surface. I keep constantly pulling over to let people pass me.

I noticed one of the posts about adjusting the governor. Someone said there's a 10mm nut near the throttle cable. Can anyone please tell me if I have to remove the entire black plastic tray/trunk in the back to access the nut? And how much should I turn the nut if I just want the golf cart to go the 12-15MPH that the manual says it should go? I'm not looking to soup it up, but rather just want it to go about 15MPH instead of 6-8MPH. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GolfCart2.jpg (59.0 KB, 0 views)
MountainBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #2
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2012 Yamaha "The Drive" only goes 6-10MPH

This will get you taken care of and won't chance harming the engine
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-speed-spring.html

On a side note how is that fuel injected engine?
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
MountainBob
Not Yet Wild

My 2012 cart does not have EFI. I'm told there is a 2012, 2012-1/2, and then the EFI model, which isn't available yet in my area. My car was actually manufactured in 2011 (according to the metal plate under the seat). The dealer told me it's definitely a 2012. I'm not so sure.

Thanks for the info on the spring. I don't know if the dealer will install it, but I'll ask. Since I just bought it, I don't want to void the warranty.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBob View Post
My 2012 cart does not have EFI. I'm told there is a 2012, 2012-1/2, and then the EFI model, which isn't available yet in my area. My car was actually manufactured in 2011 (according to the metal plate under the seat). The dealer told me it's definitely a 2012. I'm not so sure.

Thanks for the info on the spring. I don't know if the dealer will install it, but I'll ask. Since I just bought it, I don't want to void the warranty.
Welcome to BGW! Yes, take off the service panel (under the sweaterbasket), you will see the treaded rod (on the govenor arm assy) with a 10mm nut. You probably have about an inch of threads showing after the nut) so just turnit in till you see 2 1/2 inches showing after the nut and take it for a test drive Like car's, most carts are built in one year and called the next, IE-2011 is a 2012 model.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
srracer
Not Yet Wild

Hi MountainBob,

I got a 2008 Drive and had the same exact issue upon delivery. You won't need the speed spring to go a little faster... Just follow smallblock's instructions. If you crank that all the way in, you'll see about 16mph. It's very easy to do - only about 10 minutes tops!
Good luck!
srracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
MountainBob
Not Yet Wild

Guys, thank you very much for the info on the 10mm governor nut but please confirm whether I am turning the nut CLOCKWISE or COUNTER CLOCKWISE. After reading several posts, I thought I was suppose to tighten (clockwise) the nut, but if SMALLBLOCK says there's probably an inch of thread and I should adjust it to see 2-1/2" showing, wouldn't I be loosening (counter-clockwise)? Maybe I'm not looking at the threaded rod correctly. Just let me know whether I need to adjust it clockwise or counter-clockwise. I'm sorry to appear so stupid but I am definitely not a mechanic and never messed with engines before. Thanks again for having the patience to help me.

UPDATE: I guess I was thinking I would see some thread AFTER the nut and expected that part of the threaded ROD to decrease in length but I just looked at a picture of the rod (courtesy of Yamaha Speed Spring picture) so I'm assuming that I do need to TIGHTEN the nut and the amount of threaded rod before the nut will then increase to the 2-1/2" that SMALLBLOCK said. I feel like an idiot. Thanks again guys. I sure do appreciate the forum and ability to get help.

Last edited by MountainBob; 06-25-2012 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: spelling and to clarify
Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes you tighten it. He was reffering to how much thread is after the nut. Tighten it till you are happy or you hit the rev limiter. If you do hit the rev limiter back it off till it just barely kicks in before the rev limiter does. Don't feel stupid for asking questions we all start from somewhere and we are all here to learn and pass on what we have learned. My whole life my father always told me the biggest idiot in the world is a genius outside their field. We are happy to help and would love to see picks of a shiny new drive. I've been honestly contimplating getting the new drive. I have a couple old G2's but that new drive just keeps calling to me.
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
MountainBob
Not Yet Wild

One other quick question if you have a minute. Adjusting the 10mm but now gives me 17MPH so I'm happy (just couldn't live with 6-10MPH before). Someone mentioned that the gas pedal travel should only be 1 inch before the engine starts to increase RPM. Mine goes about 3/4 of the way before the RPM starts increasing. I removed the rubber mat and metal plate near the pedal but since it only takes a fraction of an inch pedal movement before the engine starts, it doesn't appear that I can adjust anything on the pedal. Is there any adjustment somewhere else on the engine so that the carb will start getting gas BEFORE I push the pedal down 3/4 of the way?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

there is an adjustment nut under the starter if looking at from the rear...it is also 10 mm front and back of the bracket, clockwise for more throttle to carb, counterclockwise for less i believe...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
MountainBob
Not Yet Wild

camaroluvz28: Forgive my ignorance but do I remove that same YAMAHA access panel in the back to access the adjustment nut under the starter? Or is that accessed from under the seat or someplace else?

Tags
governor, slow, speed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha