lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Camdenites
Not Yet Wild

Default TXT w/295 Still No Power Voltage Regulator?

I've had ongoing issues w/ intermittent Power Loss. It's been running w/ very little power and then it will "kick in" and run great for a while but eventually drop back again. You can feel the surge when it starts running better. I've replaced several ground wires and cleaned/checked the rest. I recently replaced the ignition coil, and it seems to be even worse than before.... I haven't run it much with the new coil, but it hasn't "kicked in" at all w/ new coil. It will barely run? I noticed that I'm getting 18-19 volts at the battery when cart is running. Does this indicate a voltage regulator issue? and could this be related to the power issue?

Thanks for your help! I'm getting a bit frustrated..
Camdenites is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT w/295 Still No Power Voltage Regulator?

In most cases, power is a function of fuel. It is likely that you don't get enough gas at times. Clean carb, look for leak in the hoses especially the one that gives the pulse to the fuel pump.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
RSP
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Heres my thought, 18-19 volts is WAY to much, when your starter -generator is trying to make that much electricity its hard to rotate. Maybe your vlotage regulator is bad and thats why you have such high voltage, and when the generator stops charging so hard thats when you feel a pickup in performance, I would unplug the voltage regulator and try that first, see if that seems to "free up" the performance, keep us posted
RSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Camdenites
Not Yet Wild

Unplugged the voltage regulator and it immediately ran stronger than it has in years!!! Ordered and installed a new voltage regulator.... The voltage is now running around 14-15 volts, but it still won't climb a hill or accelerate as it should???? You can jump off and unplug the green wire on the regulator and it screams???

Thank you for the advice!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
planejob
Not Yet Wild

Your starter/generator might be wearing, afterall, it has been working really hard recently.
planejob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Camdenites
Not Yet Wild

I've already spent a good bit of cash replacing other items....... In your opinion(s), what is my next step? I'm thinking maybe order new brushes and attempt to rebuild myself. I've never done this, but I usually do ok with new adventures.........

Again, thanks for the advice!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Camdenites
Not Yet Wild

I've searched starter generator threads and don't really see many that discuss power loss??? Although some talk about bad start/ gen bearings hissing..... I've noticed that when the start/gen is plugged in (green wire connection at VR) there is a hissing noise at higher RPM's. Then I can unplug green wire and the cart immediately runs much stronger and the hissing is gone???? Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
kyerik
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Take the belt off and see if there is lots of play in the generator bearing- if so, maybe the rotor part inside is rubbing on the armature and creating lots of drag.

Does the generator feel really hot (warm is OK) after you run it for 15 min?

If there is no play in the starter bearings and it doesn't get really hot, my other thought is that your ignitor is faulty and overheats/malfunctions when voltage gets high- but this is a stab in the dark.
kyerik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
stretchman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

check all your ground cables and small wire grounds clean and tight every where battery to starter, starter to frame there is also a small wire ground under and in front of the battery you have to look under the cart depending on the yr built
stretchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Check starter bearings. They are probably sticking already.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO