lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Switch question on 81 marathon

Just did a complete strip and repaint of the engine compartment in my 81 marathon. The only part within the compartment that is not brand new is the f/r switch. Looking at a few wiring diagrams this morning and realized that I may be missing a couple items. My question: where would I look to find the neutral limit switch, accelerator limit switch, and reverse warning switch? Probably a dumb question, but I know what parts I have removed, parts I have discarded, and parts I have purchased new. I don't recall seeing these switches anywhere. Did they utilize these on the 81's?
frodrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Switch question on 81 marathon

You should be looking between the f/r switch. On the drivers side you should see a mirco switch which when you move the selector to ether f/r will fall into a slot letting the switch open and supply power.When not in the slot like in neutral it will prevent it from cranking. The reverse buzzer switch will be on the passenger side again a mirco switch which falls into a slot when in reverse.Accelerator limit is the mirco switch down by the throttle linkage on the drivers side low in the cart. Hope this helps.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I will look for this as soon as I get off work. So to be clear, the accelerator limit switch is down at the bottom of the engine bay below the driver, which is activated by the round plunger thing...? Just want to make sure I am looking at the same part you are describing. With regards to the other two switches, I recently removed the f/r switch to inspect the contacts and don't remember seeing any microswitch(s), or a mounting area for them. Would there be any reason the PO would have taken them off? As opposed to the backup warning switch, it sounds like running without the neutral limit switch wouldn't be a good idea.

When I initially go the cart, I knew I would be in for a full rebuild (engine-wise). However, I threw a new battery in it and got it to crank in both directions, forward and reverse. I didn't notice anything "abnormal", so I am wondering if I simply haven't noticed the neutral switch, or if the PO was running it without the neutral switch. If I haven't noticed the switch, I am officially BLIND, as I have looked over the f/r setup quite closely.

It just figures that I had all morning to look over the cart, and as soon as I get to work, I am wishing I was home again to have a closer look at this issue. This whole "provide for your family, and be a contributing member of society" thing is really getting in the way of my carting endeavors.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did some looking after work yesterday. I found the small mounting holes by the glass fuse holder. It would appear that the PO had been running without the backup or neutral switch. Could I also run it without the switches? My real concern would be the neutral switch...
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I do not have a neutral switch on my 86 although I do have a reverse switch. I believe that the neutral switch is a throwback to the pre 1980 model which operated the blocking relay to prevent you trying to change direction with the engine running. The ignition switch and the throttle switch (and the neutral switch when fitted) were wired in series so if the cart cranks when you press the accelerator you are set to go.
The circuit diagram for the 80 -89 cart does show the neutral switch but I would bet this is because EZGO forgot to update the drawing.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Good answer Dave guess I'll look at my 84 now. I know my 87 has both. And yes the throttle switch is activated by the round plunger thingy.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
frodrummer
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did a little surfing this a.m and found this 80-81 diagram in the Gas Tech section. It does not appear to show either switch (from what I can gather, its a bit fuzzy). So I am assuming I'm safe to press on without the switches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzzdew1981wiringre6.jpg (74.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO