lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
djrules41499.
Not Yet Wild

Default Is 2-Cycle good?

I am about to buy a 1988 EZ-GO with a two-cycle engine. Hesitant to buy it because of the two-cycle. Is there any difference in performance between 2 and 4 cycle? The golf cart needs to have gas lines cleaned, gas tank cleaned, as well as the carb. Once I clean that, will it be okay?
djrules41499. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
RussellGehrer
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Is 2-Cycle good?

Its hard for any of us to guarantee it'll be OK after that without being able to look at it. We could go on and on about 2 stroke vs. 4 cycle. They both have the perks and down falls. 2 stroke can be a pain to get to run right any little thing can cause them to act up, but once you got it running good its low maintenance. The 2 strokes in these are fairly simple though not a lot to them and easy to work on once you get into them and figure out how they operate. Just my opinion
RussellGehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
RussellGehrer
Not Yet Wild

And actually stock 2 stroke vs. 4 cycle the 2 stroke will outrun the newer carts
RussellGehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The 88 is also a special year, they used the BV21 carb instead of the standard BV18 along with a special, high-flow exhaust, etc so they develop 11hp as vs the standard 2-strokes from 84-93 which were just a touch under 9hp - translates into quite a noticeable difference across the board, power and speed-wise.

As to reliability, the 2-strokes when set up correctly are maintainance-free and basically bulletproof, I always ditch the ignition system and do the HEI conversion (about $50) which basically eliminates any of the normal electrical gremlins as well as giving You a hotter, better-burning, more consistant spark. Ditch the factory oiler and run 128:1 premix, that too solves the lubrication issues (free mod) ... Pull the carb once or twice a year and keep the jets clean (10min simple job) and You'll have an excellent, reliable, cart. The 4-strokes are pretty decent too, as they age the valves tend to be problematic (regular adjustment is fairly easy though) and they also have the tendency to plug jets if the air cleaner, etc isn't maintained ... Getting the linkage just right on a 4-stroke can be a hassle but once it's good it generally stays that way, they're a torquey little motor but not much for top end without modification AND keep in mind if the engine goes a 2-stroke top end complete kit is $175 and about an hour to install, the 4-stroke is an all-day job and will cost 3-4X as much for parts alone

Last edited by BrewCityMusic; 06-07-2013 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Not enough coffee - found a typo, LOL
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2cycle, ezgo, gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO