lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 04 TXT No Power/New Batteries

So here are the current facts:
-2004 EZGO TXT model
-Brand New Trojans (6x6v batteries)
-No reverse sensor, no sounds or action at all.
-Tow switch has zero effect on cart (currently can be pushed around)
-Volt meter stopped working, getting a new one today so i can test things

I need some assistance, this cart is my fathers so its not located at my location. My father purchased new batteries from an EZGO dealer this weekend and swapped them himself. He took photos and drew diagrams before swapping and it appears he wired it back the same way, which looks correct. However, there is still no action. There is one wire coming from the charging plug location on the cart which he wasn't sure what to do with. It had a cut end on it, which leads me to believe it never was even plugged in. Can someone help point us in the right direction on where to wire this in at? You can see it in the picture where i show the positive battery terminal. Also, where should we start with diagnostics? What voltage should we be getting from each location we test? Any and all help is sincerely appreciated. Thank you, kindly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc 1.jpg (161.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gc 2.jpg (142.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gc 3.jpg (146.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg gc 4.jpg (189.3 KB, 0 views)
LSU MykuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 04 TXT No Power/New Batteries

The loose red wire from the charge receptacle is from the reed switch and goes to J1 Pin-4. The reed switch is a problem source and is often by-passed by attaching J1 Pin-4 to B+, but I don't see a bypass wire in any of the pictures.

If there is 38.2V (fully charged 36V pack) between the main negative and main positive battery pack terminals and the controller is dead, check for B+ (38.2V) on J1 pins 4 & 5. Pin-5 gets it voltage via a red wire attached to the solenoid's battery side large terminal, which appears to be in place (if that is the battery side terminal - can't tell in picture.)

Attached is a schematic with the solenoid activation circuit highlighted. All the red highlighted wires have to have B+ on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

LSU, while waiting for the big guns, can you search the forum on bypassing the reed switch? I'm not sure, but that red wire may be what that is and needs to go to the b+. BUT....I'm just a learner here on this forum and an occasional repeater of what I've read.

Good luck.

****should have just kept my mouth shut and waited for those guys to respond.

Question: on a series cart does that wire go to b+? Not at home to verify on mine.

Last edited by orangeman6; 06-26-2017 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Better responses while I was typing mine.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The reed switch as mentioned by JohnnieB would keep your fathers cart from moving. If it was accidentally pulled out of the plug that plugs into the controller. The cart would think that it is currently being charged and it will not let you do anything.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Probably not causing the controller not to power up, but the stacking order is wrong on the main + & - terminals on the battery pack and the large terminal on the solenoid. The high amp cables goes on first, then the small stuff.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the quick and awesome responses, i will be meeting with my dad this evening after work to dive in. Ill report back with the results as soon as possible...again, thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
LSU MykuL
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Final Update: After further investigation, it was in fact the reed switch wire. We traced back the wire from pin 4 and identified the previous owner(assumption) had a connector in the wire loom below the cover with the tow switch on it. The connector had come loose and when we reconnect the wires, bingo...back in action. Without your guidance on where to follow the reed switch wire, we may not have found this so quickly. Thank you very much for all the advice...this website truly is a blessing.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Go ahead and do the reed switch bypass. As you found it is a nuisance and a source of problems. If you are concerned about driving off with the charger plugged in just run the charger cord through the steering wheel then plug it in.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO