lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2023, 08:50 AM   #1
djlnc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New RXV Elite, Throttle surges, very touchy

Recently purchased a 2023 lithium RXV. When going about 15-16 mph the pedal is very touchy and will fully accelerate at the slightest increase in pressure. So it will tend to jump forward and then back when I let up on the pedal. Asked the dealer to look at it and they 'adjusted throttle filter from 2.0 to 5.0 to stabilize sensitivity to pedal'. That didn't seem to help. Is this a common issue? Any suggestions?
Thank you!
djlnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New RXV Elite, Throttle surges, very touchy

Your dealer actually made it worse. The throttle filter is a low pass filter and the parameter sets the cutoff frequency. 2Hz is the better value to use to smooth out the throttle signal so you don't feel the cart surge everytime you hit a tiny bump in the road while applying a partial throttle.

Since you are still unsatisfied, should explore other options. Is 15-16 MPH an acceptable top speed for you? You could make this the max speed, then you can drive foot to the floor. Could also increase the time values for the HS accel rates, these parameters control how fast the controller will speed up when your press the throttle more while already driving at least 10 MPH.

Last edited by TheCartBoy; 12-24-2023 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Filter details
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 10:13 AM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would think someone has been into your parameters and made some changes that effected your controller in not so good of a way. All the Elite controllers I have on file the Throttle Filter is set to 11.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Usgic, they introduced a new pedal assembly this year and its more sensitive compared to the previous one. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2023, 12:00 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I have data on a 1206AC-5251 controller manufacture date of 65th day of 2023. OS version 11, HW version 4 and it has the new pedal setup and Throttle Filter is 11 on it also.
Old 12-25-2023, 12:10 PM   #6
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Djlnc, when you go back to the dealership, ask them to send you the .CPF file from your cart. We can look at the parameters settings and tell you what's up. Bonus points if you get keen and want to setup your own programming station.
Old 12-25-2023, 12:18 PM   #7
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Good thinking CartBoy...
Old 12-25-2023, 07:28 PM   #8
djlnc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You guys are going above and beyond expectations - Thanks!

I'll see about getting the cpf file, but I have a feeling the dealer will not want to do something that would encourage the customer to mess with the cart.

I've been reading up on throttle and acceleration settings. One (of many things) that eludes me - What sort of setting would kick in and have an effect just at a particular speed? I'll take the cart out tomorrow and try to get a handle on exactly what it does as I change speed in different scenarios.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2023, 08:02 PM   #9
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Hey it's your machine, you should be allowed to do as you please.

You can read about the speed tuning in the Curtis manual, the ezgo parameter menu is setup a bit different, but the behavior described in the manual is the core foundation.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14...page=34#manual
Old 12-25-2023, 09:19 PM   #10
djlnc
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Looking at that info, I see there is a high speed acceleration rate and low speed acceleration rate. If the transition from low speed to high speed happens at about 17mph, and the high speed rate was set to a low value (for fast acceleration) could that explain a surge when hitting that speed?

The Throttle Map is another interesting variable. If this is set to a low value it will give increased output after the midpoint of throttle position.

Just trying to find something that might explain my issue...

Update - just found a comment from someone with a similar problem - said increasing the "throttle max" parameter solved their problem. It gives more usable pedal travel - the pedal was hitting max before the end of travel. I think that might be what's happening with mine. Will drive it some tomorrow to see if that makes sense.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO