lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
nitromt2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: top speed Yamaha Drive

Thanks, but where I live getting parts from the US is very expensive and not worth it, this is why i would like to keep the cart stock. Another cart on my estate can hit 65kmph, the guy says all he did was remove the governor, adjust the carb, do something with the exhaust and adjust the throttle cable. He wasn't very helpful or friendly but his cart goes fast. Which is something im looking for. Thanks
nitromt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There is no cart in the US that can go 40mph stock with a few adjustments. The only one close is a G1 yamaha which is getting pretty old, and it would take more than adjustments to hit 40. They can do 30 but not 40. But any newer cart with a 4 stroke there is no way without gears and/or lifted and large tires. They are 9-12hp engines and it is very hard to change that; that is why we have a big block section here you must change the engine to get more power/rpm.

Plowmans has a kit for more HP from the Drive, I think 15hp, but that still does not make it go faster. It is the same as your car in first gear it just will not go fast no matter what until you change that gearing ratio.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
nitromt2
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh ok well then I dont know what this guy was on about then :/ but how can I make the stock cart go 30? Thanks
nitromt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

A g1 has a 2 stroke engine they modified from an old snowmobile design. It will get a lot of rpm that is how it can go faster in a stock cart. If you advance the timing and cut the head it will run pretty fast, if you work on the exhaust port it will go faster yet. I had one that went over 30mph and it was all stock on the outside of the cart.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Read the sticky about modifying the bracket on the governor with a 5/16 drill bit. No parts required and no problems with rerouting throttle cable and associated drivability issue that some experience. I have the Plowmans clutch, carb and air box mods on my Drive, but the governor mod is a great place to start if you can't access parts from the US.
lj-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
126dgordon
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: top speed Yamaha Drive

Skeptic: I have a 2012 Yamaha Drive, stock speed around 14 MPH. I changed the rear end gear out to an 8/1 gear, 17MPH. Tighten the factory speed spring as far as it would go, 23MPH. I back off the speed spring to 20MPH because I was afraid of the spring coming out of the hole. Bought a Cart-Parts plus speed spring and installed, tighten so no thread showed on the backside, 27MPH with stock wheels. Have you ever riden a golf cart at 27MPH? That's fast. If I would tighten the Cart-Parts plus speed spring even more I bet it will go at least 30MPH!

NOW I am Believer, buy the speed spring if you want to go fast!!!!!
126dgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #17
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 126dgordon View Post
Skeptic: I have a 2012 Yamaha Drive, stock speed around 14 MPH. I changed the rear end gear out to an 8/1 gear, 17MPH. Tighten the factory speed spring as far as it would go, 23MPH. I back off the speed spring to 20MPH because I was afraid of the spring coming out of the hole. Bought a CarParts speed spring and installed, tighten so no thread showed on the backside, 27MPH with stock wheels. Have you ever riden a golf cart at 27MPH? That's fast. If I would tighten the Car Parts speed spring even more I bet it will go at least 30MPH!

Cool! Sometimes the easest "IS" the best solution. Thanks for sharing your findings
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
Esouther
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 126dgordon View Post
Skeptic: I have a 2012 Yamaha Drive, stock speed around 14 MPH. I changed the rear end gear out to an 8/1 gear, 17MPH. Tighten the factory speed spring as far as it would go, 23MPH. I back off the speed spring to 20MPH because I was afraid of the spring coming out of the hole. Bought a Cart-Parts plus speed spring and installed, tighten so no thread showed on the backside, 27MPH with stock wheels. Have you ever riden a golf cart at 27MPH? That's fast. If I would tighten the Cart-Parts plus speed spring even more I bet it will go at least 30MPH!

I have a friend that has a 2012 Yamaha Drive (i have a CC so not familiar). He wants to increase speed, so I looked at it to see where to adjust the governor nut. I can't see it. His cart has the cables coming together on the rear of the engine, but the springs are cup springs and don't look adjustable. Where is the 10mm nut that adjusts? I have seen pictures of the governor from the stickys but I don't see anything that looks like that.

Thanks.
Esouther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
lj-rubi
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Its there, just like what is shown in the pics for all yamaha gas carts. You will have to get under the back of the cart and a light may help. Right on top of the transaxle. Tighten the 10mm not in relatively small increments until you either reach a speed that is acceptable or begin to get undesireable side effects like a jerky throttle response. Ultimately the best solution is remove and drill out the governor bracket as described in the sticky.
lj-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #20
hello
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Will they ship the speed spring to canada
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha