lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2012 EZGo Express S4 accessories; lifts, etc..?

Nice XRT in the background.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Dr.T
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

SilverLTD, how are you liking the Jakes independent front suspension? and what item # did you order from them to fit your Express? Looks great by the way.
Dr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
SilverLTD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Dr. T,
I ordered the Jakes LT 7140 and had my dealer put it on. It went on just fine. I spoke with Jakes extensively before purchasing; the 7140 was the one! It rides waaaaaaay better in the front! But where your fronts go, your rears will follow...and the back is still stock stiff. We put on the rear blocks that came with the LT kit, but we didnt take any leafs out of the heavy duty leafs that came new on my cart.

SOoooo, Ive been pondering what to do with the rear.
My dealer mentioned to me that on his own personal cart, that he set up for hunting....that he put the Jakes LT on his, and then he removed all but one rear leaf and added coil over type shocks in the rear. He said it rode more cush in the rear...without having to install an entire new rear independent rear suspension to match his front suspension. I may do this same thing. Ive been looking at adjustable rear shocks. Im researching shocks to see if i can find some that i can adjust stiff when i need them, and then adjust them to soft when i need soft. Any thoughts on that?

I had the jakes disc brakes installed also. Jakes said my 10" stock wheels would never work with the disc brakes installed. I was reluctant to believe them. And sure enough...the stock 10"ers work! Just barely 1/2" clearance, but work!

I also purchased the Jakes 2" spacers for the rear tires, now they sit perfectly at the same width as the front tires!

Thanks!
SilverLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
SilverLTD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Dr. T,
Another expense I forgot to mention in the previous post....I also had to purchase Jakes aluminum front hubs, for the IFS 7140 to work. Evidently our carts come with 'steel' front hubs. Jakes said these steel ones wont work, that I had to purchase the aluminum fronts. Im not exactly sure why, and I had the dealer put all this on, so Im not for sure what the differences were as the hubs made-up to the spindles. Seemed fishy to me, although i purchased anyway. Jakes made the comment that the IFS have been designed to fit the lil older TXTs...and those came with 'aluminum' hubs. I dunno........?................ I did it anyway...
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I believe the S and L 4s are built on the TXT frame so parts should be interchangable from the dash back. Be carefull with front end parts because it depends on which steering box you have. 3 or 4 bolt at the floor. I think the windshield is the same as an express with the 80in top so it is like 2 inches taller..

Yours is looking good by the way.. Chevy Green ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
SilverLTD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

kgsc,
I agree, in my research I have found with 'some parts', the TXT accessories are interchangeable. The brush guard/front canopy struts mounting location width and bolt spacings are same as TXT. But the cowl different, so txt brushguards will work...careful of the different cowl shapes.
My cart has the 4 bolt at the floor. So the Jakes 7140 was the correct IFS.

Its original stock ezgo front and rear cowls, the color in the brochure calls the color Monster Green, I believe.

Thank you KGSC!!!!
Ive never owned a golf cart ever...and I luv this thang now that i have it!!!!

Its gas 401cc Kawa. The dealer, not I, opened up the govenor cable or whatever you call it. It went from 14mph to 24 mph, on gps, on the same stock 10 inch original wheels and tires 22" kendas.

I also had the dealer drop in the Erlandson clutch kit, thats made for this cart!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
Dr.T
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Silver,
I was thinking the 7140 was the correct LT but was concerned because the picture on Jakes site shows it with a built on grill guard and it looked like it would interfere with the stock grill guard. On your picks I don't see the built on grill guard on your lift. Did you have to alter it?

As far as the rear is concerned, I like the adjustable shock idea if you can find them. I know Jakes makes a LT for the back, but from what i understand I think you will sacrifice payload ability with it.

Also, what is the benefit of the Erlandson clutch kit?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #18
SilverLTD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Dr. T,
The 7140 is the correct LT for our cart (4-bolt steering column).
Grill guard is "detachable". It does interfere with the stock brush guard if the little grill guard is mounted as in Jakes picture; but this detachable little grill guard can also be mounted upside down...and when its installed that way, it doesnt interfere with the brush guard, but...it will interfere with the A-arm movement of the suspension. It would clear A-arms just fine with 1" cut off the ends of the little grill guard. Hard to explain and i know its a long winded explanation. IN A NUT SHELL...DONT WORRY ABOUT THE LITTLE GRILL guard, its detachable!!!
No altering of grill guard for me, i elected not to put the guard on, because Ive got a 3000lb Warn winch mounted in the 2" receiver up there!!!
Ive read similar blogging about the Jakes rear LT payload/ride....but Ive YET to find ANYONE that has ACTUALLY purchased it and put it on, and spoke of their first hand knowledge of the payload differences. I think basically what it boils down to is....if we soften up the rear to make the ride better on rough terrain, we give up 'some' payload. Im willing to give up some payload, for a little softer ride. Because i rarely ride with rear passengers or a big trailer on the back. I just dont want to break the bank improving the rear end ride...thats why im considering one leaf with adjustable shocks.
Think Id get more use out of a softer ride anyway! If i do load it down, I'll just drive slow and take it easy. Which is what i do all the time anyway!
Hope my long explanations helped a bit.
j

Also, what is the benefit of the Erlandson clutch kit?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
SilverLTD
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Dr T,
Almost forgot....Erlandson clutch kit. I didnt take this cart out and push it hard up steep hills until after the clutch kit. So my before and after knowledge is not superb. However, I had read and become comfortable recognizing that this golf cart stock, may not be the best hill climber. I also knew I would be eventually adding 25" tall tires, that I know would deteriate torque. With these things in mind...i figured improving the clutching system with a kit would be a good investment. I took the cart out this past weekend with my son. We climbed some seriously steep hills!!! I was impressed! Was following a buddy on a 2011 Honda 4-wheeler...we went everywhere he could go!
Another interesting 'find' that we made was, my cart already has 'positive traction/limited slip'!!! I was elated when we discovered this...because I was thinking all along that my cart didnt have this, and that one day i would have to add it. NO NEED...ALREADY GOT IT!!!! I think this also explains a little bit why we were able to keep up with the 4 wheeler! Positive track, clutchkit, IFS! So happy!
j
Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Dr.T
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info Silver. Think I will be getting the Jakes LT for the front. I have passengers on the back quite often, so not sure yet what I will do there. Also think I will be upgrading the clutch also, for ill be adding larger tires too. Please post your results when you do your rear suspension.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO