lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 Ezgo Marathon help!

Hi everyone,

I bought a '90 marathon (3pg robin) awhile back and through this forum have learned alot. The cart had been sitting for awhile and so i have replaced the crankshaft seals and just put on a new carb. Now im stumped and need help...

I am finally getting strong spark and fuel. Compression is right around 100. When turning over i get alot of backfiring through exhaust and it puts out the smoke. It has never fired. The plug is very oily black, but i have the fuel mixed at 1ounce to one gallon.

I know compression is on the low side but thought it should run. I have not had any luck. Any help is appreciated
cbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #2
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1990 Ezgo Marathon help!

Do you have a strong blue/white spark? Also after you did the seals did it backfire at all and possibly blow one out?
Sean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

100 psi is fine. Since you already changed the seals, I would take the fuel pump apart, and check the lower diaphragm for rips.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

Yes spark is bright blue/white on a brand new ngk plug. I have gone thru the fuel pump before and it was in fine shape. i am getting fuel to the plug.

Could it be the coil?

Seems if im getting spark and fuel it should fire.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

After you did your crank seals did you install the pickup coil EXACTLY how you removed it? If not your timing could be way way off and while you will have spark it won't be when you need it....just throwing out suggestions. The only other thing coming to mind like I said earlier is one of your crank seals popped back out but if your getting strong flow from the fuel pump that is kinda ruled out
Old 09-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

hmmm, well i guess thats possible. I did not mark it but was able to see where it was had previously mounted and thought i had it lined up correctly.

If i have it wrong is there a way to put it back where it needs to be?
Old 09-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Sean5545
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you have a timing light? You can check it without pulling the flywheel....if you lined up the old bolt holes up, you should be 'close enough' to get it to run unless your 180 degrees out (you spun it completely around)
Old 09-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #8
cbrooks
Not Yet Wild

Well sure enough. I pulled the motor again and found I had installed the pickup coil 180 degrees off. Put it all back together and it fired up on first try! Thank you guys so much. Few other things to check out but cart is running great and I've only got $350 into it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO