lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Clutch question

Does anyone know if the main clutch from a G-16 will work on a G1?
ic746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Clutch question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic746 View Post
Does anyone know if the main clutch from a G-16 will work on a G1?
I'm sorry to say it won't work. On the "back" of the G1 "fixed" sheave are the "teeth/gears" that drive the oil pump. Any reason you ask ? Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hi Smallblock, yea I have a fellow that told me he didn't trust the auto oiler so he mixed his oil and gas. So if he done this can that clutch still work?
Old 01-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Hi Smallblock, yea I have a fellow that told me he didn't trust the auto oiler so he mixed his oil and gas. So if he done this can that clutch still work?
After 22 years working on Yamahas, I have never taken off a working "gear drive oil pump assy" only replaced the parts to make them work again. If your freind doesn't trust it...that's up to him and finally up to you. If the newer style G16 clutch assy will work (on that crankshaft) I really can't say. I've never had a reason to try. And what are you trying to gain by the swap ? I know this doesn't awnser your question, but I would tell your "fellow" that when his car starts "acting up" it's probably the muffler is "clogged" with oil from his "overmixed" solution. Good luck on your build. Dave
Old 01-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Hi Dave, no i was just questioning why would he do this. I have a good chance to buy this rebuilt engine and also the rest of the cart for a couple hundred and was just trying to figure out why he done this. He said he didn't trust the pre oiler so he mixed.
Calvin
Old 01-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Hi Dave, no i was just questioning why would he do this. I have a good chance to buy this rebuilt engine and also the rest of the cart for a couple hundred and was just trying to figure out why he done this. He said he didn't trust the pre oiler so he mixed.
Calvin
Calvin...."Ignorance" I had the same problem with my Corvette's (no longer original motors and purists hated it) and my current 1978 Mercedes 450sl (with a Chevy 350 small block/700r 4 speed tranny and rack and pinion steering and Mercedes guy's hate it). Why we would do this, is our choise! Why he would do that was his choise. If you want another car..for that money..why not. It would cost you about 100.00 for a new oil pump (providing) all the other pieces are still there or encluded in the price. (I would really question a rebuilt engine from a guy that didn't trust a yamaha oiling system). I feel I'm starting to act like a "jerk" so I will stop. But, good luck on "your" choise. Later Dave
Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #7
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Dave I dont see you as a jerk, I asked the question and I appreciate your help. That is why there are boards like this one for stupid idiots like me to ask stupid questions hahaa. Yea I am going to see why he did that also.
thanks Dave.
Calvin
Old 01-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
todwil
TOD WILD

Quote:
Dave I dont see you as a jerk, I asked the question and I appreciate your help. That is why there are boards like this one for stupid idiots like me to ask stupid questions hahaa. Yea I am going to see why he did that also.
thanks Dave.
Calvin
Having worked at a motorcycle shop in the late 70's early 80's and seeing
the damage of the engines when the auto oiler malfunctions I understand
your freinds choice to premix his gas that way he knows its getting oil to
the topend and crank bearings and plus now with all these synthetic oils
you can run a higher ratio some as high as 100:1 meaning more gas=more
power...If these where set up like outboard boat engines that have buzzers
when the oil tank is low or when the pump stops working then the oiler pump
would be a great way to go... just my $.02 Todd
todwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
ic746
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well said Todd, I know there are fellows that swears by the pre oilers because I have read it here and there are fellows that swears by mixing. Well I dont have a lot of money to be buying a new engine and things always wears out from time to time, so I mix. I took my oil tank off my G1 and gave it to a fellow that needed one, I dont mind mixing I have to do it all the time when filling the weed eater or chainsaw.
Calvin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5898.jpg (129.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

To get back to your question, No the G2 clutch will not work. Not right at least. The g1 clutch has a engagement spring and is rated and weighted for the 2 cycle. The G2 clutch will not take the rpm the g1 is capable of spinning plus it is weighted for a 4 cycle engagement and shift point
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha