lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Danlyman
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G2 with weak or no spark after starter rebuild.

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and this looked like one of the best for golf carts on the net. Maybe someone can help solve my problem.*
I have a g2 gas powered Yamaha.

*I replaced the brushes in the starter generator motor because it stopped spinning they were so worn down. But now even though the engine turns over good it doesn't run. It will try to run at a very low rpm sometimes but won't ever pickup speed. I checked the plug for spark and when the engine first starts to turn there will be some spark but it quits as the engine turns faster. Sometimes I can kind of feather the throttle and get it to spark longer. Any how I was wondering if it could be something related to the rebuild of the starter motor as I did have trouble with the new brush assembly that I used to rebuild it the best I can remember it would not bolt down flush " it's been a few weeks since I worked on it" I took the brushes out of the new assembly and transferred them to the old brush holder. It seemed to run fine before rebuilding the starter *I've checked the wiring and can't find any obvious problem. Any ideas?
Danlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 with weak or no spark after starter rebuild.

The starter/gen is just responsible for spinning the engine to start it and then keep power to it while running. I suspect that your charging output might not be up to par. Try checking the amperage and voltage at the battery while it's running. I don't know what the specs are for amperage, but should be between 20 and 40 amps? Voltage should be in the 13.5 vdc range. If the cdi unit is not getting full voltage the cart will not run properly if at all. Is it possible you might have knocked a wire loose somewhere?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
Danlyman
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Question Re: G2 with weak or no spark after starter rebuild.

worked on this again today. Noticed gas pedal would not do anything to start engine after I had been messing around and found out ground fuse had blown sometime during my trouble shooting the spark problem. Right after I replaced the fuse I seemed to have good spark only to put plug back in then nothing again. Ran ground wire from big black ground wire terminal on starter generator to one side of coil mounting screw ground. Seem to have good spark again started trying to start engine and after a few seconds ground wire on spark plug coil and coil pickup ground wire started smoking so I guess this adding ground wire stuff can back fire on you if you don't watch out. So does anybody have a thought on why this would happen?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Danlyman
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Here is the thread to my solution.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tml#post813883
Old 06-08-2020, 05:17 AM   #5
MJS
Not Yet Wild

I have the same problem right down to the blown fuse.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
MJS
Not Yet Wild

It's 2020 and I don't know if anyone still views this but here I go. I found this forum searching for my problem and found That Danlyman problem was exactly the same as mine, the starter brushes right down to the blown fuse. Mine is a 1988.5 yamaha G2. I was skeptical of the Chrysler conversion and still am. It seem there is just not enough information for a novice to go through with that. But I read Slonomo's comment and thought about that, "If the cdi unit is not getting full voltage the cart will not run properly if at all" So I simply put the old brushes back in my starter and it runs just fine. I don't know why, didn't seem I did any thing differently. I still need new brushes the reason I replace them was that I was having to tap the starter to get it to go. Just moving them to a different slot by chance, It's working. The next time I have to tap to get it to go I will replace the entire stater assembly with a new one rather than rebuild it.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
Corky6573
Not Yet Wild

My g2 had the exact same issues. I have been messing with it for three weeks since I changed the brushes. Switched out everything all it would do was idol. Then I found the solution because of what MJS said. He simply put the old brushes back in and it worked fine. It made me think that the brushes were installed incorrectly which they were when I tighten the screw it must’ve made the metal contact the starter case straighten all of them up and runs like a top
Corky6573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha