lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
ergoman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default where to start on 95 ezgo

Hello, just joined your helpful forum. I purchased 2 1995 ezgo medalist's yesterday. One runs and moves but smokes alot, engine is covered in oil, and has quite a bit of oil in the air box???? The other has the carb off, and the valve cover off, one of the valves is broken. Both are cosmetically in OK shape, one has a box, the other has a rear seat. I would like to fix these. The price was right.

-What does the oil in the air box mean?
-Where could I find the lifters or top end kit?
-How do I know if it has the 290 or 350 motor? What brand are the motors?
-What is the most popular engine replacement for these, (best HP for least amount of fabricating to fit?)
-What is the cylinder pressure supposed to be??
-What is a ezgo workhorse? Is it a model name like medalist?

- The manufacturing code for both of them is 01495, the serial numbers are two digits apart

I'm going to do a pressure test later today, will take some pics but not sure how to post them. Thank you for your help.
ergoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
rgcars
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: where to start on 95 ezgo

The oil in the airbox may mean too much oil..the lifters and top end kits can be ordered from any dealer... the one with the box is propaply a workhorse(which would have the 350motor) unless it is a regular car with a box added.. most regular cars are the 290's not sure on an exact number but compression should be up there around 80-100psi. if you are interested i can get some lifters and/ or top end kits for you... hope this helps you out a little good luck.
rgcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcars View Post
The oil in the airbox may mean too much oil..the lifters and top end kits can be ordered from any dealer... the one with the box is propaply a workhorse(which would have the 350motor) unless it is a regular car with a box added.. most regular cars are the 290's not sure on an exact number but compression should be up there around 80-100psi. if you are interested i can get some lifters and/ or top end kits for you... hope this helps you out a little good luck.
Welcome to the forum. Great post and thanks for helping out in this section.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
ergoman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

One cylinder is at 100, the other is at 115. Oil is 1/2 quart low and this cart is smokinnnn........

The small bed on it has a pivot gate and is bolted to the fenders behind the seat and supported in the back with two pieces of angle iron with holes in it, attached at the bed and to the rear spring shackle bolt.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

is the smoking cart lifted? the fellas here say to drain it, add 1.5 quarts, and then mark where that comes to on your dipstick, it is your new fill line. the lift shifts the engine's verticle alignment, and thus the dipstick is at a new angle in the pan.

any pics of the carts?

you can check with one of our fine sponsors, and they could help you find a motor, or figure out what you need. a new/rebuilt/used 295 or 350 would bolt right in, but you're getting to the price point where you could almost put a big block in (price point).
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

-What does the oil in the air box mean?
It mean you have lots of blow-by thats blowing oil into the breather box from the pcv hose
-Where could I find the lifters or top end kit?
Check with the forum sponsors
-How do I know if it has the 290 or 350 motor? What brand are the motors?
The engines are Robins. It will have marked on the block, eh29 for the 295cc, or, eh35 for the 350cc
-What is the most popular engine replacement for these, (best HP for least amount of fabricating to fit?)
The one thats in there only rebuilt
-What is the cylinder pressure supposed to be??
120 or better
-What is a ezgo workhorse? Is it a model name like medalist?
The workhorse models are little trucks
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
ergoman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ruredy and everyone else thanks for the information,

ruredy; I thought I read somewhere that you gave a telephone number for a 500 replacement engine in Georgia? May or may not have been you,

no the carts are stock and filthy dirty, price was right however.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
ergoman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I meant that to read a $500 replacement engine.
thanks
Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #9
Saltysteele
Home of the Teeny Weaney

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
ruredy and everyone else thanks for the information,

ruredy; I thought I read somewhere that you gave a telephone number for a 500 replacement engine in Georgia? May or may not have been you,

no the carts are stock and filthy dirty, price was right however.
hey, diamonds aren't pretty when first dug up!

we gotta see what we're starting out with (didn't you know that your cart is our cart, too, now?)
Saltysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't count your engine as bad yet. Try setting the valves to .004" and retest your compression. I've seen carts as low as 6lbs with poorly set valves come back up to 160#. Anything under 145# is sub par. If you need info on how to set valves, feel free to call our shop for a play by play. You'll need a feeler guage, flat screw driver, 10mm wrench, plus a 10mm socket to remove the valve cover.

Oh, and about 10 minutes of your time...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO