lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
JordyED
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 48V Club Car DS-new controller, no reverse

I will admit, I am not handy with electrical or proper terms. I know the basics, but please dumb it down if possible. I bought 48v 2001 DS, replaced the batteries and cart didn’t drive forward or reverse. Then replaced 225 amp controller with 325 amp Curtis controller. Now have forward, but no reverse. I know the cart worked great before it sat for about 2 years before I bought it. The old controller had one less large terminal than the new one so when I replaced the controller situating wires exactly as I took them off, I left the additional large terminal empty. I don’t think it’s the controller, but why would I not have reverse? I do get a solenoid click when the pedal is pressed. And also get the reverse buzzer, just no reverse action. I have also lifted all micros switches on F/R lever manually and still no response in reverse.
JordyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2001 48V Club Car DS-new controller, no reverse

Can you give the model number for the NEW controller so we can make sure it's the correct one?
The extra terminal on the controller usually means it needs to be wired a bit differently, and there may be a way to use that one, but it depends on which model it is.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I am wondering it that was an A2 connection....(?)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure the Motor S1 and S2 cables go to the movable posts of the FNR switch.

If they do, the next thing to check is the micro-switch #3 on the FNR switch that controls the reverse speed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
JordyED
Not Yet Wild

I tried to post a link to the controller I purchased, however I am still on probation. I am not sure the exact serial number, but here are some details:

36-48 volt (Curtis #1204 short body) controller with four buss bars curtis Series Controller
For Club Car Electric Models
325 amp
5k-0 throttle
Controller Measurements-(1204M) 7"x5.5"x3"
It is Item number 998 on buggies unlimited dot com

I will check out the micro switch, thanks Sergio. Is #3 you are talking about the one farthest from the handle of the FNR switch...Rearest most micro?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those folks at B.U. don't seem to know much about controller compatibility.

The 1204M is a programmable controller and the way B.U. ships them it will not work with the Club Car reduced reverse speed.

You need to remove that circuit from your cart.

If the diagram below matches your cart, You need to disconnect the 3 wires from micro-switch #3 and connect the Green and White wires together. The black wire should be tapped as it will not be used.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
JordyED
Not Yet Wild

Awesome! Thanks for the info. To be clear, I can still use this controller and the cart will function as normal if I cap the Black wire and hook the Green and White wires together? There is a 'pig tail' wire coming out of all switch #3 terminals that then hooks into another wire with a male/female connector. I should just unhook at this point and switch the green and white so white coming out of #3 is hooked to green and vice versa for Green coming out of #3. Then cap the two black ends. Correct?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should have 3 wires going into that micro-switch #3: Green, White and Black.

Disconnect all 3 wires.

The short wires that come off the micro-switch will not be connected into anything.

The Green and White wires from the harness should be connected together, You can use a blade style automotive fuse to jump the two 1/4" quick connectors.

The Black wire from the harness should be tapped so it does not make accidental contact with anything.

The cart will now run at the same speed Forward and Reverse so be careful backing up.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
JordyED
Not Yet Wild

Go it! Thanks for the help Sergio!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
JordyED
Not Yet Wild

Well, now I have a new problem. I replaced 2 microswitches in the FNR shifter. It works great right off the charger! But now, if it sits off the charger too long, sitting idol...say over night...it won’t move. What could be drawing power? I should add, batteries show 51.9V and I do not hear the solenoid click.

Tags
48v club car, controller, no reverse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car