lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default 87 gas ezgo belt comes off driven clutch

I have an 87 ezgo gasser. I put new bumpers on the driven clutch (the others were worn down to nothing) now the drive belt comes off under acceleration. any thoughts? thanks
didjidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
divot61
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 87 gas ezgo belt comes off driven clutch

are the 2 clutches inline with each other?
divot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Cool Re: 87 gas ezgo belt comes off driven clutch

Thanks for replying, I believe the clutches are alined there doesn't seem to be any adjustments for them do to the way the engine mounts in its craddle. There is however some play in the differential, the pinion gear moves in and out appoximately 1/8" when the cart is rocked back and forth (is that normal?) and I noticed that the driven clutch spring doesn't have a lot of tension (I can take it apart and put it back together by hand.) Thanks again
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

what kind of shape is the belt in? the driven spring should have a fair amount of tension so as to try to keep the sheaves together. the belt should measure 1 3/16" in width. it may be stretched
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I tried a new belt so that should be fine. I noticed when I had the cart on jack stands the belt stays on under acceleration, however when the cart is on the ground the belt rides up on the driven clutch and comes off. It seems that it only happens under load. Do you think that the 1/8" play in the differential could be the problem? Could my driven clutch be worn? I'm stumped. Thanks for the help
Old 10-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I don't think the 1/8th play will cause it. Check the motor mount bolts, rubbers and sleaves they could be worn and letting the motor move toward the driven clutch so it might seem the belt is too long.
I've seen some that were almost cut in two from long term wear.
the belt should actually have to be forced or rolled off of the driven to get it off and on, shouldn't just fall off.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I think you can refer to the thread about the belts in the tech section and see what the length should be. The driven could be sticking I suppose.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
didjidude
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Crash, Happy to hear it not the differential. The engine sits in a steel carriage that has fixed mounting bolt holes, there doesn't seem to be any adjustments to be made. The carriage is mounted to the same swing arm that the differentail is also mounted to so they move in unison. I can't figure out why the belt stays on when its on jack stand
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would go to a few sites get the belt spechts and check that you have the right belt. Granmamas seamstress tape is your best friend.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Here's a thought.......you have a two cycle right? I would thoroughly check your motor mounts. notbthe rubber, the metal plate under the motor. These old 2 cycles vibrated like mad and had a tendancy to develop cracks around that plate. I had a maddening clatter coming from under my 89 and tore out my hair figuring out what it was. One day I notice a minute line of rust on a portion of that plate and realized it was broken. We welded it up by laying in round stock material and also found other cracks in the mufflerr cradle and supports. If there were a crack of sufficient length then I suppose the motor could flex enough to give the belt slack. Dunno but worth checking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO