lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
Orchard Worker
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 Marathon EZGO uns & Dies

The lower head bolts two of them were loose, I put a 9/16 on it and I probably could have unscrewed them with my fingers, the other two were tight but not much, Doesnt look like it was ever apart.
I'll put it together with loctite on the upper and lower head bolts.
& thanks for the insight, I will buy the adaptor and use it to help torque the heads properly,there is not much room to use a torque wrench by itself.
Anyone know the torque specs for the upper and lower head bolts?
I went to the EZgo link on here, and they do not carry the Head and piston set for this 87 cart, I ended up ordering from Buggies Unlimited for $173.00 Included , New Cylinder head, Piston , the complete topend kit less the needle bearings which I order also,Is there anything you can do to these 2cycles to get any more power out of them?
Orchard Worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
Vix
Not Yet Wild

Not much your going to do about getting more power. While you have the engine out make sure and check your crank bearings for any play. When I got my 87' it had the top end rebuilt, and ran fine for a while. Then it started to get real loud. Then one day coming home from the course it blew. When I pulled it apart the piston was in about 5 pieces and the needle bearings had shot up into the head, also I found alot of play in the bearings. Got a complete rebuild kit from my local cart shop ( at cost, nice to know people ) took a couple days with some help from another friend, and she has been running like a champ since. The bottom line is, as long as you have the engine out, spend a couple extra dollars and fix it right. If you still need torque specs I'll go get my manual in the garage.

Vix
Vix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Orchard Worker
Not Yet Wild

The Bottom end looks really nice ,clean, and the Rod and lower bearings are tight and not scored. I think the only reason this problem happened is the lower head bolts loosened up and caused the cylinder head to move around slightly or the compression was leaking between the lower head area. or both?,
If you wouldnt mind supplying the specs it will save me a lot of time having to search the net.
Thank You
Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
Vix
Not Yet Wild

I can do that for you. I will go down to the shop now and get my manual. Give me a few minutes for a smoke and a beer and I'll have any of the info you need.

Vix
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
Vix
Not Yet Wild

Crankcase 18 to 20 ft. lbs.
Cylinder 24 to 28 ft. lbs.
Cylinder head 17 to 18 ft. lbs.
Cooling fan 20 to 24 ft. lbs.
Spark plug 18 to 21 ft. lbs.
Clutch draw bolt 54 to 55 ft. lbs.

Make sure and go in small steps on the cylinder and head to make sure you get a nice even seating.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and help you out as best I can with any info you may need from the manual.

Vix
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
Vix
Not Yet Wild

One more thing, take that piece of sh-t oil pump off and premix. That way you know for sure your getting the right amount of oil needed. Also after the rebuild run the first full tank at I think 40:1. I'll have to go look at the tag on my tank to make sure that's right but I'm pretty sure. After the first tank the tag says 128:1 but I run around 100:1 to be sure. Smokes a little, but better safe than sorry.

Vix
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #17
Orchard Worker
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 Marathon EZGO Runs & Dies

Thanks for the specs, Greatly appreciated!
Received all my new parts today except for the upper Needle bearing for the rod,(backordered) so I ordered from another source , it looks like I wont be putting it together until next weekend now. I have a lot of prep to do anyway.
Thanks Again!
Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #18
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon EZGO Runs & Dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchard Worker View Post
Thanks for the specs, Greatly appreciated!
Received all my new parts today except for the upper Needle bearing for the rod,(backordered) so I ordered from another source , it looks like I wont be putting it together until next weekend now. I have a lot of prep to do anyway.
Thanks Again!
Happy New Year!
I ordered the parts for my '92 EZGO gas top end rebuild, yesterday. I also got a pair of crank seals.

Are you going to replace your seals while you have it out? If so, do you have the instructions for setting the pickup for the ignition assembly, whatever it is called? I'm specifically looking for the gap measurement and any "heads up" help when reassembling. especially the part in the picture with the black box, almost hidden with 17 years of dust.

Thanks,

Clem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC290011 Resized for Web.jpg (44.3 KB, 6 views)
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Vix
Not Yet Wild

Workstead, just use an awl and put a couple small scratch marks on the ring and housing. They won't wash off, and then come time to reassemble just line them back up and your good to go.

Vix
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Orchard Worker
Not Yet Wild

Hi Vix,
I decided to do the lower end also to this 87 ezgo Cart ,I might as well , I know if If don't I will regret it later.
Also ,are both rings the same? Or are they specific to top and bottom?
I need to fnd a way to pull the Clutch assembly off.
Are there specific marks to the lower end I have to be aware of when taking apart and putting back together?
Thank You
OW
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO