lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G1 or G2 Driven Clutch?

As posted in another thread, I'm redoing my G1 and installing a G2 rear differential so that I can get back my reverse after installing a Flat head 8hp Briggs.

I was running it with the original rear and no reverse before this and was running the original clutches.

Until now I hadn't thought about the clutches. I do have a G2 drive clutch but the driven clutch is shot. I do however have two driven clutches from a G1 and will be using one of those for now.

A little before background. The cart as set up with the G1 clutches and 8hp with opened up stock G1 breather and two stroke motorcycle muffler will run between 25 and 30. (Haven't tested it with the GPS but before opening the breather and changing from stock Briggs muffler it ran 24-26 and is a little faster now)

My questions are:
1) Is the taper the same on both the G1 and G2 drive clutches?

2) Will there be any benefits to going to the G2 if it fits?

3) Will using the G2 drive and G1 driven be ok or will it cause any problems?

I did read a post where they say a G1 driven clutch may perform fine on a G2 rear using a G2 drive clutch, but no one spoke up and said they had tried it.

I know it fit on the rear fine as I have the G1 on the rear already. I did add a couple extra washers to the end of the shaft.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 or G2 Driven Clutch?

Clutch taper is same. It should be fine, no performanc advantage. Extra washers? Where? Why?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When I installed the G1 driven clutch on the G2 rear differential the nut didn't quite tighten the clutch down completely. So I added a couple washers and it tightened down fine then.

I know the G1 drive clutch worked fine and I did just take it apart and clean and lube it so will go with that one for now. There are so many other things to worry about to get this cart back rolling to mess with clutches right now.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Should not matter that much. The G2 you can preload the clutch so you can adjust the backshifting while the G1 you can't because it must turn both directions. Not a big difference though, so it should work fine w/G1 unit.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sho, I mis-named the thread. I was thinking more about the drive clutch. I have one of each and didn't know if there was any benefit to using one over the other.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm using the G1 drive clutch with the G2 driven clutch and the combination works fine. When the road gears are installed I'm thinking it will be OK also.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Is your G1 drive clutch the one with a steel cover & 3 weights, or the aluminum one with 4 weights?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

We are going back a ways but as I recall it is the one with 3 weights.
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The square looking alum one is the original G1 clutch, lot of them are wearing out. They have a spring in them and are better for our use of carts. The gold cover is a G2/9 clutch they offered as replacement. It works about same rpm, nice clutch, but sticks out more so it hits more when you lift it. It has no spring. Its smoother but does not take off as hard. Either one can be used the G1 engine runs about the same rpm as the 4cycles, though it will rev out much higher eventually.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

The metal cover one is not just a g2-g9 clutch put on a g1. Remember the oil pump drive gear.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha