lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 Club Car clicks but wont move

Greetings, and thank you in advance for your help...(Newbie) I have a 1989Club Car 36volt ...I think 89....(A8911168509). It has 10 month old Trojan batteries that are fully charged. My wife was riding it and it just lost power...she said she probably had traveled 400 feet when it quit, and coasted to a stop. She tried to put in reverse and nothing happened. If I barely push on the accelerator it will try and move(very slightly) (forward or reverse)and then the solenoid will click and it loses power. When I say very slightly, I can easily hold the cart while barely pushing the accelerator. What are some things I can trouble shoot? It has a single solenoid.
Bruiser6722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1987 Club Car clicks but wont move

Hey Bruiser... I have an 88' so I think I can help you out. These carts are resister carts, using solenoids to control speed output. If you look behind your batteries, you'll see the solenoids lined up... the first (closest to the drivers side) is the Master solenoid... The next four are speed solenoids. You have coils (look like springs) running from solenoid to solenoid. These springs get extremely hot at low speeds and may have burnt in half. Here are some things to check...

1. Inspect the coils to ensure none of them are broken or burnt in half.

2. jack the back wheels up and place on block or jack stands... you'll need a voltmeter to do this task. your 5 solenoids each have a wire coming from the throttle control box... THey are as follows... #1 solenoid (far left, drivers side) is a green wire. #2 should be a blue wire, #3 is a white wire, #4 is a red wire, and #5 is a black wire... as you push down the gas pedal you should hear the solenoids click.... when your pushing the pedal down slowly, you'll get 12V power to those wires from the throttle box.... check each wire to make sure you have power to the solenoid... if all 5 have power to them, you have a bad solenoid.... I suspect from what your telling me, the 2nd or third solenoid is bad. most likely the 3rd one... post back on here to let us know what you find... it really is a very simple system. We'll help you figure it out.
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1989 Club Car clicks but wont move

Thank You, I will test voltage at the coils and inspect them. I dont remember my cart having all those solenoids. I will check it out tomorrow and report back to you. Thank you Again
Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1989 Club Car clicks but wont move

I originally put 1987 in title, I meant 1989
Old 08-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

I only have 1 solenoid and it is mounted in front of the batteries next to V-switch. I do have the metal coils and if I start all the way to the left (drivers side the voltage starts out at 31 and then falls as I move right). It has 5 coils and by the 3rd coil the voltage is 12 to 15 volts

Last edited by Bruiser6722; 08-12-2015 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: add more info
Old 08-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

Hook a voltmeter up to the battery pack , (should be around 39 volts if charged) then see if it drops (well , how FAR it drops) when you press the go pedal...can also jump the large posts on the solenoid but jack up the rear wheels first...probably a bad battery or 2....do you have a battery load tester ?

I have the same cart , so , been there...been there on fire as a matter of fact...
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #7
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the late reply I've been busy with work. I jacked up the rear end, and as I press the accelerator pedal the tires pick up speed effortlessly until half pedal or so and then it the solenoid clicks. I haven't charged the batteries since last post and the resting voltage was 38.4 volts when I start pressing the pedal and it dropped down to 37.2 volts
Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

Will a 1998 club car body fit on a 1989 club car?
Old 08-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #9
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser6722 View Post
Sorry for the late reply I've been busy with work. I jacked up the rear end, and as I press the accelerator pedal the tires pick up speed effortlessly until half pedal or so and then it the solenoid clicks. I haven't charged the batteries since last post and the resting voltage was 38.4 volts when I start pressing the pedal and it dropped down to 37.2 volts
I also jumped the main post on the solenoid and nothing happened
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
Bruiser6722
Not Yet Wild

I put a new solenoid on it yesterday (been on a turnaround for 48 days) and it does the same thing, could it be the Vswitch?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car