lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Cheap G9 Ignitor module

Having seen several G9s recently all with bad ignitor circuits, I am researching the possibility of creating an inexpensive G9 ignition circuit based on a readily available DC-CDI module.

These are used in a number of Chinese GY6 4 stroke clone engines. This is a similar goal of the G1 cheap CDI thread that is a sticky in the forum. The model used in that thread was the AC version. The DC version adds a circuit internally that creates the high voltage necessary to create a spark without the need for a stator which is ideal since there is no ignition stator on the G9 engine.

While this should work in theory, there may be a couple of modifications required:

Ignition coil
The ignition coil may have to be changed to a gy6 type as I understand that the original ignitor is a TCI type (solid state) and may work at different input voltages than the gy6 (Capacitor Discharge) CDI type. (easy swap)

Timing advance
So a couple of questions. Does anyone know the stock timing curve for the G9 engine? (usually 0 at idle, down -?? degrees at full rpm.----------

Pickup sensor
The pickup sensor has 3 wires on the original Yamaha design (1 ground, 2 others). Most I'm familiar with only has two (magnetic field alone creates the trigger). Anyone know how these are wired? If I need to supply voltage to it, and what voltage would be required, or if it could be used as a passive magnetic only solution. If the pickup used on the G1 is the same as on the G9 JG5 engine (three wire) then by default it should work based on others experience.

GY6 DC CDI
Anyone know the stock timing curve (if any) for these CDIs? Adjustable ones are available if needed.

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully, we can get a working solution. Even aftermarket CDIs are 200$+ here. The gy6 CDIs can be bought for 25$ with a coil.
cinejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cheap G9 Ignitor module

G9 ignitor autopsy...

Last edited by cinejeff; 04-19-2017 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Images didn't show up
Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Here is what the inside of the G9 ignitor (CDI..well really TCI)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1342.jpg (215.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1343.jpg (208.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1344.jpg (221.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You will have to change the coil iirc the TCI is lower voltage than CDI, the resistance is much different on the coils. The TCI more or less is electronic points that keeps 12v on the coil and breaks it to fire, while CDI is a very high voltage blast from the caps to the coil to fire. There is similar info for vision yamaha bikes that use a similar system let me see if I can find a page that explains a lot. However I don't know what the pickup is, I didn't see a magnet in the flywheel. It looked like a hall effect with a window, not sure. Check this out: http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/IgnitionFAQ.html#a7p0

Some ignitors can be repaired, they are bad solders or the transistor is bad (the three legged big thing with a heat sink out the top).
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #5
cfherrman
Gone Wild

The pickup will get ya if it's not in the right spot, other people have tried and failed with gy6 ignitions, but I don't know if they did it right or not.
cfherrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I could build an adjustable timing mount like the one Vegas carts now has, but for the pickup. But I don't know exactly what I need for the ring it points at. Also if the ignitor blows its really pricey that is why its not on my cart yet. I would use a CDI if I found one that advanced correctly. According to what I read the new electronic coils don't advance that much, I can buy one un limited from NR racing and would need to buy a new flywheel to go with it.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
cfherrman
Gone Wild

Give me some time, brother and I are working on Arduino cdi ignition, fully customized advance
Old 04-23-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That would be nice, I just bought an arduino kit and need to get on the projects in it.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #9
cinejeff
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

SUCCESS!!!! It's alive. I soldered in a DC gy6 CDI onto the old ignitor connector, hooked it up to the gy6 coil and it ran like a top. I tried it with the stock coil and it ran but very roughly. Timing seems bang on. Very happy camper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1416.jpg (101.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1417.jpg (89.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1419.jpg (92.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1424.jpg (118.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1421.jpg (114.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
cfherrman
Gone Wild

I have a spare China gy6 stuff, I'm gonna try this. Which wire goes where?

Tags
ignitor cdi gy6 g9
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha