lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #21
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Bogs or Hesitates Mid Throttle 2002 G-16

Alright! I took the muffler off (holy cow what noise!) haha. It did the same hesitate. Removed the carburetor and all associated spacers/gaskets. Found a piece of gasket left on the block. Removed and Dremeled the gasket faces. Cart ran much better, but still 'bogged". While it was bogging I reached and added the choke. It ran fine. Voila! It seems there is a fuel flow issue that doesn't allow enough gas. As a reminder, new carb (turned 1 1/2 out), new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel lines, new vacuum line, cleaned tank, new fuel. I have been doing all of these tests with the air cleaner off. I see, that might make a difference, but I don't understand why. Any suggestions to increase fuel flow? A primer pump (like an outboard, maybe?)
YamaKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 AM   #22
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

My take on your latest description:

When you removed the muffler you removed the restriction. So it ran lean. Proven when the choke helped.

With the muffler on there is a restriction. Enough that the engine is running rich. Proven by the choke not changing the conditions.

Time to bbq the muffler. If this is a two cycle engine.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #23
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaKart View Post
Alright! I took the muffler off (holy cow what noise!) haha. It did the same hesitate. Removed the carburetor and all associated spacers/gaskets. Found a piece of gasket left on the block. Removed and Dremeled the gasket faces. Cart ran much better, but still 'bogged". While it was bogging I reached and added the choke. It ran fine. Voila! It seems there is a fuel flow issue that doesn't allow enough gas. As a reminder, new carb (turned 1 1/2 out), new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new fuel lines, new vacuum line, cleaned tank, new fuel. I have been doing all of these tests with the air cleaner off. I see, that might make a difference, but I don't understand why. Any suggestions to increase fuel flow? A primer pump (like an outboard, maybe?)
The cart will never run right with the air cleaner off. And the air cleaner must be sealed. No air leaks. It does make a difference. It's just a Yamaha thing...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:23 AM   #24
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
The cart will never run right with the air cleaner off. And the air cleaner must be sealed. No air leaks. It does make a difference. It's just a Yamaha thing...

What he said. The air cleaner must be installed and the lid must be COMPLETELY sealed, no air leaks or it will run lean and bog down. Put the airbox on, make sure it is sealed, and there are no air leaks between carb and head and let us know what you find.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #25
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Cart ran the same with and without the muffler. Thanks for the input. Okay, gang. I'll do my next tests with the air filter installed. I'll report the results when I get it done. Rain scheduled here for the next 8 out of 9 days.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaKart View Post
Cart ran the same with and without the muffler. Thanks for the input. Okay, gang. I'll do my next tests with the air filter installed. I'll report the results when I get it done. Rain scheduled here for the next 8 out of 9 days.

If choking it helped with the air filter and everything removed, having the air filter and airbox installed should help a ton. Just make sure it is completely installed and sealed. Even something small like a leaking seal around the airbox lid will make it run like dookie. That's just how Yamaha's are, even my old G9
Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #27
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Alright! I installed the air box and filter. I was very particular about the sealing and air leaks. Ran the cart in the garage, there was no difference whatsoever. It would still bog on acceleration, and by pulling the choke out, it started running fine. With a new fuel pump and lines, I am perplexed. I tested the fuel pump flow some time back, and it seemed fine, but maybe it's not pumping enough fuel for a "spurt" to compensate for acceleration any faster than real slow increase. I physically blew on the new vacuum line I installed, but really don't know how much vacuum is supposed to be there. I tried to use a vacuum guage, and realized it's not totally vacuum, but a "puff-vacuum" which makes the pulse for the pump. My diagnostic mind is starting to run out of ideas!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #28
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

First, it's a carbureted system. The fuel pump's only purpose is to fill the carb bowl with fuel. The cart is quite fuel efficient, and on a bowl of fuel will probably run a half mile or more at full throttle. And if the cart is running, the carb has fuel. IT's not a fuel supply issue.

What you have is an air fuel mixture problem. Pulling the choke helps, so you know you are running lean. This leaves 2 possibilities...
1. there's an air intake leak. Spraying carb cleaner while the engine is running around the carb, intake, etc. will change the engine RPM and tone.
2. You've got a problem with the carb. Either a junk china carb, your OEM one is not clean, or it is simply not adjusted properly.

IF you haven't already, I would still recommend taking the junk china carb off and rebuild your OEM carb. IT is 1000% better quality than the china junk. There are a lot of airways inside the carb itself, dirt and junk in any of them can cause problems. I use an ultrasonic cleaner full of carb cleaner to clean my carbs, works like a charm. Then blow it out really well with compressed air through every passage and hole you can find.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #29
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also, make sure you give the cart plenty of time to fully warm up. it's not uncommon on a cold engine to have to choke it for a few minutes for it to get going. After that it shouldn't need choke. Also, running a cart at idle with no load is different than running the cart down the road. Try it with a load and see if that makes a difference.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #30
YamaKart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Alright, fellow Carters! The "bog" and hesitation has been fixed. Here's what transpired, for those that might have this issue in the future. You can read in the previous posts all the machinations and parts replacement I did. Here's how the fix went down. I cleaned and reinstalled the original carburetor, it helped but still had the issue. Removed the head and found the head gasket to be broken. Valve seals were shot. Cleaned the head and piston, removed the valves, replaced the valve seals and lapped the old valves, installed new head gasket, and valve cover gasket. It runs well now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha