lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2019, 01:21 AM   #1
Texas Made
Not Yet Wild

Default Squeal on 2018 Precedent when coming to a stop

I have a 2018 precedent with the Subaru engine. It makes a squealing sound just as the cart comes to a complete stop. It’s not on take off or acceleration, only when the cart is barely moving just as it comes to a complete stop. A dealer told me it sounded like the clutch and it needed to be retorqued. Anyone else had a similar issue? Is this something that can be a DYI project? The cart is in a rural area and I would have to rent a trailer and make a special trip to haul it in for service and back, so if I could fix it myself onsite that would be a lot easier.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Texas Made is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Squeal on 2018 Precedent when coming to a stop

Ours does that. When you get down to really slow speed slowing down the engine actually stops turning and so the drive clutch stops. But the driven clutch is still being turned by the wheels, so the belt is still rolling across the drive clutch. This means the belt is slipping across the center section of the drive clutch and makes a bit of noise. I don’t know for sure if it’s belt noise, or if there is a center bearing in the clutch making the noise. I haven’t pulled the belt off yet to find out. Doesn’t really bother me that much because it’s the same noise as every other variable ratio clutch setup like this makes. This one seems a bit noisier than others but they all do it to some extent. It’s just part of the way they work.

An easy way to reproduce the noise is put the cart in Forward key off. Take the brake off and push it forward. You might need a helper to help push but it will roll and you should be able to watch the driven clutch turn, the belt turn, and The belt will roll across the drive clutch and make the noise. Or if you have a hill, hop on and roll down the hill with the shifter in forward at 2-3mph and watch the belt move. Then move the shifter to Nuetral, the driven clutch should stop turning and the noise will stop.

I don’t know what your dealer means by saying it needs to be retorqued. If the bolt that holds it to the engine is loose you’ll have one hell of a noise and vibration.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 AM   #3
Biggspell
Not Yet Wild

Mine does that as well. My dealer said it was normal.
Biggspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
Jaymac824
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever figure out the issue or fix it? I just bought a 2018 Onward with the same motor and it does the same thing when coming to a stop, kinda drives me crazy.
Jaymac824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
YoToddy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

2021 6 Passenger Onward here... mine makes the same noise. I back out of garage, pull down the driveway and when I slow to pull out onto the street I hear the belt squeal and it's rather embarrassing.
YoToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #6
Texas Made
Not Yet Wild

As a follow up to my original post, I was never able to fix it. Seems like it is the issue Fairtax described above. I don’t think there is a fix and I have since heard several other gas club cars making the same noise.

I do get a pretty good vibration that shakes the cart and steering wheel on acceleration. It seems to smooth out at cruising speed though. Anyone else with this engine experience this vibration on acceleration?
Old 05-06-2022, 08:56 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A vibration while accelerating, check the snubber. Its the cushion at the front end of the engine cradle where the tongue of the cradle rests in the pocket of the frame. Snubbers are common to fail and cause vibration and noise.

Also check the clutches for abnormal wear. I recently had to rebuild the drive clutch on the 15 Precedent we have because the movable sheave on the clutch was worn significantly and was causing the belt to make noise at certain RPMs.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #8
Texas Made
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tips. I will take a look at the snubber and clutch this weekend.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car