lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
chrisivc
Not Yet Wild

Default 1985 Gas DS Electric Fuel Pump Replacement Problems

Hello All,

I have a 1985 Club Car DS 4 stroke Gas that is about as stock as you can get. It was my grandfather's private golf cart that he used about 2x a week to go golfing up until he passed away in 2000. He took good care of it until his passing where it sat idle for a few years until my aunt and uncle took care of it but rarely used it. About 2 years ago I took possession of it because my wife and I could use it on most weekends and we had a place we could store it indoors (it was almost always stored indoors over the past 35 years, so it is in good condition).

When I first got it, I replaced all the struts and a few other worn parts. I replaced the oil and transmission fluids and I also adjusted the brakes. It has been a good golf cart since I have had it for the past 2 years. This past weekend I took it out of winter storage (I winterize it every winter) and took it around the block when the fuel pump died (This is the mid-80's CC DS with an electric fuel pump from Mitsubishi).

Long story short- it has been a pain and a half to find the replacement fuel pump. I have seen posts on this forum about a replacement fuel pump but those posts are 10+ years old and the links no longer work. I called a few Club Car dealers to see if there is a new part number but they did not have any suggestions other than seeing it was discontinued. I am to the point of deciding of gambling over a hundred bucks for a "used" fuel pump on ebay or going aftermarket.

If I go aftermarket, does anyone know the correct electronic fuel pump specifications for a stock CC DS gas engine? The dealer I called had no clue since Club Car hasnt had an electric fuel pump since 1987. I would like to try to find a way to fix it with a proper part but given the age of the cart, I may have to be creative.

One other note, the engine runs ok but it is not super smooth either (it burns a little oil and occasionally backfires until it has warmed up). We know not to push it to the limit, so we slowly accelerate/slow down and we rarely go over 50% throttle. It has not had any major problems so far but I think it needs a really good tune up by a pro. Given the age of the engine, is it better to spend the needed tune up money on a new engine or just do a tune up/rebuild? I see there are a few engine replacement kits out there but I have not really looked into them. If the engine ever dies, is it time to retire the cart at this point? I would like to keep it going for sentimental reasons, as long as it is relatively affordable to maintain but also understand that sunk cost is also a thing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Dallas, TX
chrisivc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1985 Gas DS Electric Fuel Pump Replacement Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisivc View Post
Hello All,

I have a 1985 Club Car DS 4 stroke Gas that is about as stock as you can get. It was my grandfather's private golf cart that he used about 2x a week to go golfing up until he passed away in 2000. He took good care of it until his passing where it sat idle for a few years until my aunt and uncle took care of it but rarely used it. About 2 years ago I took possession of it because my wife and I could use it on most weekends and we had a place we could store it indoors (it was almost always stored indoors over the past 35 years, so it is in good condition).

When I first got it, I replaced all the struts and a few other worn parts. I replaced the oil and transmission fluids and I also adjusted the brakes. It has been a good golf cart since I have had it for the past 2 years. This past weekend I took it out of winter storage (I winterize it every winter) and took it around the block when the fuel pump died (This is the mid-80's CC DS with an electric fuel pump from Mitsubishi).

Long story short- it has been a pain and a half to find the replacement fuel pump. I have seen posts on this forum about a replacement fuel pump but those posts are 10+ years old and the links no longer work. I called a few Club Car dealers to see if there is a new part number but they did not have any suggestions other than seeing it was discontinued. I am to the point of deciding of gambling over a hundred bucks for a "used" fuel pump on ebay or going aftermarket.

If I go aftermarket, does anyone know the correct electronic fuel pump specifications for a stock CC DS gas engine? The dealer I called had no clue since Club Car hasnt had an electric fuel pump since 1987. I would like to try to find a way to fix it with a proper part but given the age of the cart, I may have to be creative.

One other note, the engine runs ok but it is not super smooth either (it burns a little oil and occasionally backfires until it has warmed up). We know not to push it to the limit, so we slowly accelerate/slow down and we rarely go over 50% throttle. It has not had any major problems so far but I think it needs a really good tune up by a pro. Given the age of the engine, is it better to spend the needed tune up money on a new engine or just do a tune up/rebuild? I see there are a few engine replacement kits out there but I have not really looked into them. If the engine ever dies, is it time to retire the cart at this point? I would like to keep it going for sentimental reasons, as long as it is relatively affordable to maintain but also understand that sunk cost is also a thing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Dallas, TX
I got an electric fuel pump from ebay that works fine.It is 4psi. I ran power from solenoid post that is powered when pedal is pushed. Mine was facet cube style.
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1985 club car, fuel pump
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car