lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Belts by size, not application

Where can a person buy belts by size? Seems everybody sells them by application. I need a stock length but wider belt. I went to a drive clutch that takes a wider belt and I got a driven clutch from Vegas Carts that takes a 1-3/16" belt. I have a 2002 Pioneer with a 2018 FE400 engine. Center to center distance is the same as it was with old engine that has left this life. When I try to order a belt from places that sell cart parts and say, I need a belt for a '02 Pioneer but 3/16" wider they get lost. Vegas Carts only knows engine swaps and they sell mounting plates. That allow a person to buy a belt that is close in length and adjust engine location to get correct belt tension.
Greg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Belts by size, not application

Yes you can. There are several things you need to know about the belt, such as angle of the V, top width, and overall length you will need. Try searching Gates product catalogs Or other companies. If you find the right parts person that knows how to open a book, they can usually find the correct belt by size.

Gates has huge line of G-force recreational CVT belts that cover almost everything. Those are good quality heavy duty belts even though you might pay a bit extra for one.

Something to consider when measuring width and length, most CVT belts the top edge of the belt should be about 1/16" above the outer edge of the secondary clutch. If the belt sits down inside the clutch, it will not give you full range operation of the clutch and may not give you the best starting power, and it may lead to problems with slipping or chattering as the belt wears.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, the online Gates catalog gets tiring. They list part numbers and you have to click on part number to find out specs on each belt. No place to enter pertinent size and search. Part numbers do not seem to have anything to do with size. Measuring needed length using system in archives here, I need a 38-1/4" x 1-3/16" belt. Best Vegas Carts could do is sell me a 39" belt for a Yamaha cart. It is a bit too long. I get the 38-1/4" measure by cutting my old 1" Club Car belt and measuring from one end to the other. And measuring with tape around small diameter on drive clutch and around outside of driven clutch. Both measure the same. The reason I went with drive clutch that takes a wider belt is because with new engine it has a short steep taper on end of crank. Old engine has a long slight taper. It was the only clutch I could find for new engine. I know engine and drive clutch is for an EZ-GO. I bought them both from same dealer going out of business. EZ-GO mounted engine backwards compared to Club Car and rotates CCW. So their belts are much longer. No help there.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well got my 2002 Pioneer in better operating condition! Happy,happy. Went through some serious disgust on this path.

When I got it, it had a blown engine with counter weight through crankcase. I did not know carts from wheelbarrows when I got it.

Stick with me, I do have a question about belts coming up.

I did not know about clone engines and engine swaps. So I looked for a replacement. A slick salesman at a EZ-GO dealer going out business told me his still in box 2018 FE 400 engine was a direct bolt in. It was but it runs backwards. And crank taper is different so old clutch would not fit.

So I wound up going forward in reverse. With a drive clutch that takes a 1-3/16" belt. A driven clutch that takes a 1" belt. It did not work well and slipped bad with 1" belt. Even tried a brand new 1" belt.

Got a driven clutch from Vegas Carts that uses a 1-3/16" belt and a 1-3/16" belt. Problem is it is a 39" long belt. A little long. But gained about 5 mph going forward and belt no longer slips even on steep hills. I don't really want a cart that goes fast, I want a cart that is not running 4000 rpm at 12 mph.

When looking at the Gates online catalog what is meant by effective length? On some belts they list both overall length and effective length. On others they just list effective length. How does one calculate the effective length?

Now I have clutches sorted I think all I need to do now is get proper length belt. And all is good once again.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Do you have a part number and brand name for the belt you have? Typically with major manufacturers the belt has some sort of number that indicates the width and length in some way. It may be possible to find a shorter belt just based on that.

Or, is there any way you can adjust the engine forward or back in relation to the trans?
If you have a 39” belt, and you need a 38” belt by measurement, adjusting the engine forward by about 1/4”-3/8” would yield the same results as a shorter belt.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
Greg001
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The new FE 400 bolted in just like the old one. 4 holes in bottom of stock mounting plate, 4 on the vertical part of mounting plate, and two studs that go through transaxle case flange. So it is effectively bolted to transaxle with 6 bolts. I could make spacers and use longer bolts and slot the holes in bottom of mounting plate.

Good idea and thank you for the input. Much better than buying belts until I find the one that works just right. And machining spacers of equal length will keep the clutches in line.

The 1-3/6" x 39" belt they sold me fits a Yamaha G16/G22 cart. Everybody and his dog sells them. From cheap OEM to super grabby high performance.

Thanks again!

BTW, I am really impressed with the 9" driven clutch Vegas Carts sells. I towed a 18' bass boat about a 1/4 mile up a slight hill, backed it down a steep boat ramp, then pulled back up boat ramp with it still on. Wish I had a tach. It seems to let engine rev for a 1000 rpm or so before it changes gear ratio and cart goes faster. Lots of low end power (slow speed) that is very usable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car