lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
L.C.
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 g16 drives very slow after new parts

I installed new fuel filter. New Fuel pump. And new carburetor. But now the cart will only drive slow.
L.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 02:54 AM   #2
freshdaymusic
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1996 g16 drives very slow after new parts

Questions I’m going to ask based one what I’ve learned from the guys on here as well as my own experiences with my G16:

1. Did you replace your carb with an aftermarket carb? If so, don’t throw away the original carb if it’s the Mikuni carb. Clean it and put it back on. Aftermarket carbs are junk and have issues.

2. Can you post a video of your cart running? It sounds like the starter is turning the motor but it’s not actually starting and running. This will make it basically go at idle speed but again, cart isn’t running, your starter is turning the motor and moving the cart slowly along. If this is the case it’s likely not getting fuel because you may have hooked the new fuel pump up wrong or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
freshdaymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
deafmusicman
Not Yet Wild

Check directional flow of fuel filter.
deafmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
L.C.
Not Yet Wild

I have attached a video. I have the fuel pump hooked up correctly. It is upside down though. The aftermarket pump came with the vacuum line on the opposite side.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
L.C.
Not Yet Wild

Never mind. I can’t figure out how to attach the video dea
Old 05-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

million dollar question is WHY did you replace the fuel pump, filter, and carburetor? Was it having problems you were trying to fix with these parts? Was this supposed to be a "maintenance" type of thing? Was anything else replaced at this time?

And did you purchase an OEM carburetor (MSRP is $323, can be found online between $250-300) or an aftermarket carburetor ($15-20 online).

Do you still have the original OEM Mikuni carburetor?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
L.C.
Not Yet Wild

I purchased it. Not running. So I replaced the parts. The fuel pump was missing. I do have the original carb still
Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
aintgotthis
Not Yet Wild

With the key off, hold the pedal to the floor. The butterfly on the carb should be wide open.There is a delicate balance of cables to achieve this.
aintgotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Ok good info.

Before spending money on any more parts check the basics. Check compression, check to make sure it has a good spark. And maybe dribble a pop cap worth of gas in the spark plug hole and see if it will fire off. When checking compression make sure to hold the carb butterfly wide open by hand or it will read low.

Post your results. Please don't spend any more money just swapping parts. Let's find what the root cause of the non-running condition is and remedy that first.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
L.C.
Not Yet Wild

It runs. But to get it to run I have to have it neutral. And while pushing the pedal. Reach in and move the throttle. If I put it in drive while jamming the pedal down. The cart drives very slow. I can walk faster.
Spark plug is new

I hope this info is helpful as well
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha