lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default ITS Testing - Accelerator Issues? (SOS)

Ok,

Did my 48v upgrade on my 1996 EZGO TXT DCS and having issues with the throttle.

FYI: Navitas TSX3.0 600amp, Navitas High-Performance Motor, MJZ-400amp 48v solenoid.

The controller is working. Able to connect and see everything on the diagnosis screen. Switch from forward to reverse and app tells me what I did. Step on the accelerator and nothing. I get a red blinking light and the solenoid doesn't engage. The solenoid doesn't engage when switching between forward and reverse but, the controller reports in real time that this is happening. I am pretty sure my issue is with my control wiring and not the power side/controller.

I tested the pin for the throttle to the controller and it is showing 50v as it should be. (FYI: Pin 20 on the Navitas wire harness plug.)

The problem is the ITS I believe and it may have died when I went 48v. It is an old cart so I am figuring the throttle sensor is unhappy or the microswitch. I tried to follow the wiring diagrams but, got lost in the pathing. :(

My cart has the 4 wire configuration coming out of the throttle box that goes to a Molex. Wires are white, black, green and red. Molex is clean and no corrosion.

1) When I put my volt meter on ohm and put it on the black and white wire in the Molex I am getting a reading of 15.02 ohm. This is the end coming from the pedal box. When I press down on the accelerator it reads 15.02 ohm. Nothing happens when I press on the accelerator. I tested it a few times just to make sure. I am assuming this is connected to the actual throttle sensor.

2) When I put my volt meter on OHMS and put it on the green and red wire it reads OL. When I press down on the accelerator it reads 0. I am assuming this is the microswitch. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am assuming that in (1) it should be reading a range of output and not a consistent 15.02ohm.

I haven't lifted the mat and looked inside the pedal box. Wanted to confirm my assumptions with smarter people than myself first.

I am tracing wires looking for any bad ones or issues. Going to do it a second time. Everything was working fine prior to dropping in the 6x8v batteries. It all stopped working when I hit the accelerator after the battery upgrade. :(

Could it also be my forward/reverse switch causing the issue? I bumped it with a battery when I was putting it in. But, the two microswitches are engaging and the app is reporting F/R. The reverse alarm comes on even.

Just my luck when everything was going o-so-well. :(

Thanks!
Impaled

PS: Not solenoid as I replaced it today with a new one as I originally thought it was the issue. No change when swapped.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: ITS Testing - Accelerator Issues? (SOS)

Ok,

Pulled mat off and can confirm that green and red wire go to the microswitch and the black and white wire to the throttle sensor. Everything is clean and dry. When I tested again at the source in the pedal box the microswitch behaved the same and the throttle sensor did the same thing.

I am assuming at this point that the throttle control (white and black wires) is the issue but, not sure.

Thanks,
Impaled
Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

As I mentioned when you Canadian "sorry'ed" me, since you gave Navitas your money, they should spend a little time walking you through troubleshooting over the phone. I've read dozens of accounts where Alltrax did this for customers. I understand the reasons you bought from Navitas, so they should help you out. Good customer service wins advocates, especially on this forum.

The microswitches should have no problems with the 48 volt upgrade. I'm a series guy, so all of series MSs get pack voltage. Yours may get voltage from controller. All ITSs get their voltage from the controller, which wouldn't change when you went from 36 to 48 volts.

EDIT: Did you try this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...e-testing.html

Try the Alltrax model for your drive type - DCS or PDS? I can't remember.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
As I mentioned when you Canadian "sorry'ed" me, since you gave Navitas your money, they should spend a little time walking you through troubleshooting over the phone. I've read dozens of accounts where Alltrax did this for customers. I understand the reasons you bought from Navitas, so they should help you out. Good customer service wins advocates, especially on this forum.
Tech at Navitas is helping out. Great guy and responded to my emails with suggestions at 11:30pm even and got me down to this point:

Opened up the pedal box and pulled off the white and black wire from the throttle leaving only the microswitch active. Press the pedal, microswitch engages and same flashing red light and beep thing again.

Reading 50v when the pedal is up and 0v, when the pedal is down and switch, is engaged. No throttle control hooked up.

Quote:
The microswitches should have no problems with the 48 volt upgrade. I'm a series guy, so all of series MSs get pack voltage.
My microswitch is also getting a pack voltage of 50v as well. Same as what your series gets. Not sure if this is correct voltage for my DCS cart. Waiting for confirmation from tech on the test. (It is 7:06am so I understand if he doesn't get back to me immediately.)

Quote:
Yours may get voltage from controller. All ITSs get their voltage from the controller, which wouldn't change when you went from 36 to 48 volts.
I suspect their is something going on with the microswitch. Solenoid doesn't engage because I think the switch is doing something crazy bananas.

Quote:
Yes I did read that one. Excellent article and very helpful even though it is for a different controller but, the wire traces on the harness side are the same. Navitas documents map the 10 pin Molex to their wire harness adapter. So I was able to put a pin in the appropriate holes and test to make sure I am getting proper voltages.

Quote:
Try the Alltrax model for your drive type - DCS or PDS? I can't remember.
I followed the DCS one which was very helpful. A DCS harness is a DCS harness so power flows from the same spots from the DCS wire harness.

Thanks for your help!
Imapled
Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Acquired a new microswitch. See what that does when I get home tonight.

Ugh.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:09 PM   #6
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, I took apart the Molex on the wire harness and reseated them all better. Solenoid now engages when the footswitch activates which is good. No error codes when switching between f/r/n. The controller is happy (and a tank btw) but, when the plunger goes into the ITS nothing happens.

Is there a way I can jump the ITS? I know this will WOT the cart but, I want to test to see if I need a new ITS module prior to buying one. Just going to jump it to see wheels spin then stop. But, need to ask before I do anything completely stupid/moronic or will cause my cart to burn up in smoke.

Wheels are up. Nothing in the way. Tires are under the cart. Front tires are blocked in both directions on both tires with huge cinder blocks.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Can you connect a laptop and see if the controller indicates percent throttle? 0 - 100% +/-.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #8
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Can you connect a laptop and see if the controller indicates percent throttle? 0 - 100% +/-.
I have the Navitas dealer app on my phone. Connected bluetooth and when I press the pedal the Throttle % doesn't change.

Battery Voltage: 50v
Throttle Voltage: 0v
Throttle: 0%
Motor RPM: 0
Vehicle MPH: 0

When I press the pedal the solenoid engages and the app tells me the foot switch is on. But, nothing changes in the above values. Hence my theory it is the ITS that has issues. I checked the wires from the six pin molex (that only uses 4 pins) and the wire to the pedal box and no issues. The only thing left in my diagnosis is the ITS. Which in Canada is a major expense (over 200$+13% tax!) so I want to make sure prior to purchasing. :)

Thanks!
Impaled
Old 05-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Update!

I redid the end on the Molex (six pin) and Mad Max works. ITS was good. It was a last-ditch effort. The Molex end on the white wire was crap and being a nerd I had a bunch kicking around to replace it with. I really hate Molex adapters.

For those with DCS carts, they are old now. If you have issues with your cart's wire harness the 10 pin Molex that connects to the controller is crappy. You can pull the pins out and check them (for corrosion/dirt) by pressing on the metal tab with a pointy thing pull them out and make sure they are in good condition.

The 10 pin Molex on the DCS wire harness is 1-770849-0 if you need to order a new one. My housing was ok. One of the pins was pushed in and needed adjustment.

For the 6 pin Molex that goes to the pedal box you can use a standard Molex pusher. Make sure that the female ends are not bent in. Mine was collapsed on the white wire and wasn't making contact. As soon as I fixed it cart ran like a charm.

This winter I am going to strip the cart down, pull it apart, paint the frame and change the wireharness to the EZGO TXT 48v one. Will have to get a new wireharness for the Navitas TSX3.0 controller I have but, this old DCS wire harness has caused me enough grief. If you are reading this and you are rebuilding your DCS TXT cart and have it all apart. Do yourself a favour... Dump the old wire harness.

Cheers,
Impaled
Old 05-15-2019, 06:05 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Glad to hear you got it working. ITS failure has occurred, but it seems pretty rare. With all the changes you've made, connectors make sense, and are way cheaper.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO