lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: I need some advice on a clutch spring

I see it is $33 at partzilla. IMHO Worth trying before spending BIG $'s at Plowmans
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I see it is $33 at partzilla. IMHO Worth trying before spending BIG $'s at Plowmans
That's where it's coming from ironically. From what you guys said and from what I've read I really think the umax spring will work and worth trying. I've only got maybe two major hills to climb on my course, the rest is cake. That's the way I figured it, try this first and if it fails try Plowmans. I'm sure he makes excellent products, but my budget won't support that right now, especially with the whole cart to rebuild. If I had it my way I would send the whole engine to him to rebuild and get all his special touches done to it, but my wallet says "no".

I felt the primary clutch and I can feel some little ridges in them but nothing too deep. Should I replace it or just rebuild it?
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Some people here seem to give the impression that there is some "magic" that can be performed on primary and secondary clutches. No mater what spring or weights are used in the primary it's low low stays the same and its high high stays the same. I.E. Say the primary goes from 1:3 to 3:1. The secondary goes in a similar fashion. So in these "magic" kits the intermediate ratios are change by altering the shape of the sheath or stiffness of the spring in the secondary and changing the springs and or weights in the primary.BUT unless you change the diameter of one of the clutches the low to high overall ratio dies not change one iota.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Wow, you understand this stuff more than I do. It makes sense to me though. So basically your only changing the middle of the powerband then.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #15
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
Wow, you understand this stuff more than I do. It makes sense to me though. So basically your only changing the middle of the powerband then.
Yes. The stiffer spring will hold a lower gear longer, if that makes any sense. There's no magic. The Umax spring is engineered by Yamaha to perform with their stock engine, and it works quite well.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 AM   #16
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm sure it will work for what I need it for. Between the umax spring and the engine being bumped up a touch I should be able to climb those hills. I talked the guy who's going to rebuild my engine yesterday. He's going to rebuild the primary clutch at the same time and I just ordered the secondary clutch from Vegas carts so that should be shipping soon. When that gets here I'll combine that with the umax stuff.
A little off subject but does anyone know a good place to get steering components like stuff to rebuild the steering box, tie rods, kingpins, etc...?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The cart's together and after a week of breaking it in I did a trial run of one of the hills on my course with myself and my son. We barely made it up the hill. The umaxx spring is set to B-3 right now, any suggestions on what to change it to gain more torque? If we had golf bags, cooler, etc... I would have my doubts if we would have made it up that hill...
Old 08-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #18
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
The cart's together and after a week of breaking it in I did a trial run of one of the hills on my course with myself and my son. We barely made it up the hill. The umaxx spring is set to B-3 right now, any suggestions on what to change it to gain more torque? If we had golf bags, cooler, etc... I would have my doubts if we would have made it up that hill...

Did you turn the helix/tighten the spring to get the ramps past slides on the sheave? It will make a difference. The ramps should be riding on the slides as the sheave is drawn in.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:59 AM   #19
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Did you turn the helix/tighten the spring to get the ramps past slides on the sheave? It will make a difference. The ramps should be riding on the slides as the sheave is drawn in.
Yup, when I installed it I set it at B-3, turned it clockwise until it made it past the first ramp I came to and clamped it and put the key in. As near as I can tell it's always sitting on the ramps when at a dead stop, when it's moving it's too fast for me to see how it's sliding. I'm sure this wouldn't have anything to do with it but the secondary seems to have a wonk in it to. When you rotate it you see it wobble in one certain area and as near as I can tell the shaft is pretty straight. It might be due to that spacer bushing I put in.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #20
Kal
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I forgot to mention, it does pretty good on the rest of the course, it's just on those 2 hills it bogs down and doesn't have the power to climb them at a decent pace.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha