lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #1
Scott from NH
Not Yet Wild

Default G 9 self adjusting brakes not working

I just replaced the brake shoes on my G 9 and I screwed the star wheel all the way back in assuming when I pumped the brakes they would self adjust but they didn't. I pumped the brakes and the adjuster wasn't working as it should. Any advice on how to make them work better?

Thanks!
Scott from NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: G 9 self adjusting brakes not working

You have to pump the brakes a lot. Dozens of times. Do you hear them clicking as they adjust? They should make some noise.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
grantspec
Getting Wild

The manual calls for high temp grease on the threads of the adjuster. Also, there are lubricating washers that go under the adjuster wheel (If they are missing i havent been able to find part numbers for them they come with the new backing plate assembly).
grantspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 03:01 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Whenever you do a golf cart brake job, it should be part of the job to disconnect the brake cables and "rachet" the arm at the brake lever until it stops "auto adjusting" any more. Then reconnect the cables. Why is this not common practice? Some mechanics are too lazy/uninformed, and because it will also require readjusting at the pedal end of the cable when you are done (also lazy?). Contrary to whatever you read, "back-up/go forward, push pedal" will likely never get the job done adequately! That way, you also get to hear if it's auto-adjusting/racheting correctly, something you may not be able to discern while driving it. So many times I heard "my brakes don't work good" & it was only adjustment and cable geometry was the difference between working awesome, and working poorly, no new parts needed.

I must add, gummed-up brake cables that don't slide easily are a killer that keeps the automatic adjusting during normal use from happening properly. Generally "worn-out" stuff in the brakes themselves (not the pads) is common too.

I'll try to keep them working right, but if I tell you the whole thing is just worn out, it's not for me, it's for you.

That was just another thing I learned the hard way over the last decade...

Had a personal friend (club car owner) who dealt with their "manually adjusted brakes" for years, with problems every 6 months, even schooled him how to adjust them himself. I finally convinced him to spend the money & just "replace it all", he hasn't called me on my personal phone since! We aren't all just looking for a way to **** you over!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Scott from NH
Not Yet Wild

So after tinkering with the star wheel manually the brakes now work very well. She stops on a dime and gives you change back!!!
Scott from NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Glad you got it.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha