lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #11
fstop
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club Car extended top (DoubleTake OEM) squeaks - remove rivets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubCar86 View Post
Oh yea, I see what you are saying. That is tough to eliminate!
So I drilled out all 14 rivets, disassembled the aluminum frame plastic corner brackets (came apart easily and didn't break) and blew out the rivet pieces with compressed air.

Then I cleaned off the aluminum top surface with denatured alcohol and put some 1" x 1/8" neoprene foam strip (adhesive on the aluminum side) across the 4 perimeter spans. Used #14 x 3/4 pan head SS screws with a flat washer and a 5/8" diameter neoprene washer (1/16" I think, possibly thinner) against the plastic top. I will probably order 1/8" thick rubber / neoprene washers, and try to find ones closer to 7/8"-1" diameter, but it may not really matter.

Tried #12 screws but the original rivet holes are really too big and they don't bite. I drilled them out carefully and didn't enlarge when I removed them - but with the #14 screws you need to use a bit (can't remember what size) that is JUST larger than the existing holes for the #14s to go in tight but not so tight you can't thread them in. 5/8" long #14s would be fine also - the 3/4" almost touch the bottom of the alum. channel.

What I found, and could be part of the issue, is that a number of the holes (5 out of the 14 I think) in the plastic top skin didn't line up very well at all with the holes in the aluminum top bars. So I elongated those holes (maybe by 3/16" on some of them) that didn't line up properly so there was no lateral tension on them and screwed it back together.

Did this last night and it is raining today - will try it out tomorrow - it probably squeaks in all new places now!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
Buck9s
Not Yet Wild

How did it end up? What size drill bit did you use? Any other tips or things to watch out for?

I'm doing the same work today (drill out & replace). I plan to use 3M heavy duty outdoor mounting tape as a buffer.
Buck9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:51 PM   #13
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Has anyone else done this with good success? Fstop, how has your setup been holding up since drilling out the rivets? My roof has only been on for about a month. At first I had the bolts that went through the roof mounting brackets touching the inside of the inner roof lip, instead of sitting inside with a little gap. I fixed this by putting strips of thin foam between the roof and bolt ends. Was great for a couple weeks until I heard the new creaking sound coming from the drivers side rivet right where the handle mounts to the roof frame. It too is the plastic roof rubbing on the rivet shaft as Fstop had mentioned. I thought about hammering on it to compress it more. But I may have to do what Fstop did. Was hoping to hear what others may have done. Pretty disappointing for the price on this extended roof!
MYCART8A4RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #14
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYCART8A4RE View Post
Has anyone else done this with good success? Fstop, how has your setup been holding up since drilling out the rivets?
It solved my issues completely. There is no noise coming from any of that area after doing all that.

The other part to this, which I did before drilling out rivets etc..., was putting nylon washers between the brackets and the aluminum frame at all bolted points (no metal to metal anymore). Decent sized washers with adequate thickness, so you can tighten fully (but not to the point where the square tubular supports or brackets start to deform).

I'd add also add that a point of squeaking for me was the windshield, where the clips hold the plexiglass onto the square tube uprights. The plexi moves against the plastic clips. Solution I found was cutting and wedging velcro strips (not the kind with adhesive, but the kind with hooks on one side and loops on the other) between the plexi and the black clips (nothing is visible once you push them in there). This cured a source of substantial racket in my case, and it was hard to pinpoint exactly where it was coming from.

Squeaks and rattles drive me crazy - mostly I have none now but with a Club Car you have to be willing to hit a number of the suspension points frequently with silicone spray lube or things can start to get noisy again. This stuff amazingly doesn't really collect dirt and grime and works well but you do have to keep up with it periodically. I've tried lots of different sprays (and dissassembly / grease) for the suspension problem spots and the silicone is the best - and easiest - I've found. Would love to hear other folks' solutions.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #15
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

This stuff works great to isolate issues like you had https://www.amazon.com/20Pieces-Adhe...07L7ZMS5B&th=1
ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:55 PM   #16
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post
It solved my issues completely. There is no noise coming from any of that area after doing all that.
When I purchased my roof it came with the mounting brackets for the front along with hardware including rubber washers. I also added rubber washers to just about everything that had to be mounted to the roof rails. So that fortunately wasn't a problem in my case. I too am a bit OCD to rattles and squeeks so I'm always finding ways to quiet things down. Everything was great on my cart until I installed the extended roof. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to take the roof back off and drill the rivets out but it appears that's my next project.

I did have some noises with my flip windshield as well a while back but used adhesive foam pieces that came in a kit in several sizes and shapes in the same locations you mentioned and that fixed my problem there.

I see you mentioned using #14 - 5/8" bolts with rubber washers in place of the rivets. So your saying the diameter of the #14 bolts will thread right into the existing holes in the aluminum roof frames? I won't need to tap the holes?

Last thing on the rivets. Won't they try to spin as I drill them out? I seem to remember a project years ago where I attempted to drill out rivets and they spun on me. I can't remember how I fixed the issue as this was quite a long time ago. I really appreciate your input!
Old 11-22-2021, 08:33 AM   #17
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:

I see you mentioned using #14 - 5/8" bolts with rubber washers in place of the rivets. So your saying the diameter of the #14 bolts will thread right into the existing holes in the aluminum roof frames? I won't need to tap the holes?

Last thing on the rivets. Won't they try to spin as I drill them out? I seem to remember a project years ago where I attempted to drill out rivets and they spun on me. I can't remember how I fixed the issue as this was quite a long time ago. I really appreciate your input!
It's been awhile but I think they are 14s. I used washers that are stainless (painted black like the top though) with rubber on the other side but you could use whatever I'm sure. Those washers have a slight concave shape but I flattened them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rivets could spin but they are tiny and you could hold them with something if so - they are easy to get out. I would just try to not make the holes any larger than you have to to get the rivets out. No need to tap anything - I just used stainless sheet metal screws.

Remember to get the rivet pieces out of the top channels or they'll make noise in there.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #18
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
It's been awhile but I think they are 14s. I used washers that are stainless (painted black like the top though) with rubber on the other side but you could use whatever I'm sure. Those washers have a slight concave shape but I flattened them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rivets could spin but they are tiny and you could hold them with something if so - they are easy to get out. I would just try to not make the holes any larger than you have to to get the rivets out. No need to tap anything - I just used stainless sheet metal screws.

Remember to get the rivet pieces out of the top channels or they'll make noise in there.
I really appreciate your input Fstop. Looks like I'll be tackling that project over the holiday weekend.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #19
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
I really appreciate your input Fstop. Looks like I'll be tackling that project over the holiday weekend.
Sure thing. It's not a big deal and won't take that long.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:49 AM   #20
MYCART8A4RE
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Sure thing. It's not a big deal and won't take that long.
Thanks to your helpful input
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car