lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
jollymon68
Not Yet Wild

Default carryall2 fe350 starting problem

I just got my carryall2 back from the repair shop. It started when we loaded it but did not when i went to unload it. I knew the battery was weak so i charged it for a couple hours and she started up and ran. I drove it around then parked it for the night. The next morning she wouldn't start. I pulled the battery and replaced it with a new battery as it was over 4 yrs old. Tried to start it and nothing. Lights, buzzer and everything else worked. I rolled the engine over by hand and it started up. Where do I start other than bringing back to the repair shop? belts are all tight and new.
jollymon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2021, 06:05 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: carryall2 fe350 starting problem

Pull one of the rubber caps off the starter/generator and see how high over the brush holder the brush sits. This will give a good indication of brush wear. Worn brushes can cause this.

These also are fairly common to have to hold the pedal for a few seconds before it starts to roll over. Can be caused by worn brushes, weak battery (or even a mew battery with not enough CCA), corrosion/poor cable connections, or even just a worn starter/generator. There’s a lot of potential causes for that, and lots of folks have issues with pressing the pedal and having to hold it for 5-10 seconds before the starter starts to turn. But there is no “one thing fixes all” solution due to the wide range of possible causes.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:12 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Pretty much covered it all CP, even with using a meter, sometimes it will fool ya, you might show volts but it takes amps to turn the starter.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
jollymon68
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tips will start with the starter and go from there.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Start with checking the brushes on the starter. Not replacing the starter. Just to be clear.

If you do end up needing to replace the starter, get an oem starter from revolution golf cars. Sure you can get an aftermarket one for $100 from eBay or Amazon, and it will probably grenade within a month. The oem one David sells will last another 15-20 years like the first one did.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The reason to replace it is if the commutator where the brushes ride is burned or pitted beyond repair.
If you feel capable, you can remove the starter and take the armature out of it and put in a cordless drill and lightly file the commutator and then fine emory cloth to bring back to life.
Reassemble with new brushes and good to go....
Old 05-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
jollymon68
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate the help. Definitely didn’t want to drop another 250 into a service call. I can take apart the starter/ generator. I restore older model Allis Chalmers tractors done plenty of gennies and starters. Thanks again
Old 05-25-2021, 07:41 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Then you should have this one in your pocket!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car