lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default The '92 G9 Dead again

I got news from my dad that his buggy won't start again. I'll have to get over there soon to determine the cause, but so far it's been a typical "toy" money pit for him.

I started thinking about fabbing a horizontal shaft general purpose engine into the thing. Something generic with a mag ignition like a HF Predator.

With multiple ignition components replaced on this ride so far I'm starting to feel this may be the best way to keep something running for my 82yo daddy so he can at least use it.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Karl
pYr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: The '92 G9 Dead again

My cart has been the most reliable 20+ year old gas powered thing I ever owned, but hard to say where that cart has been. Get some details we are happy to help. Lot of these carts never get any service, people don't put spark plugs in until they quit 8 years later.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I've got a feeling this buggy was an old plant runner at one time due to the rust we've cleaned up.

I have some history here, I'll dig up the old threads & get them posted. Seems to me you've provided a tone of help in the past. I had intended on getting a buggy myself but life got in the way for the meantime...

Thanks
K
Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I have a G2 (daily driver to work). And a G9 i bought with zero oil & seized up, broke it free with a breaker bar & a long pipe. I drove that one over 1k miles just by putting a drain plug & oil back in it. These old Yamis are pretty tough in my experience. We can help you figure this out.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Hi Folks-

Here's an old thread regarding the same buggy.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-no-spark.html

There are a few others under my screen name that delve off into CDI conversions & other silly chit.

The last time the cart died, I didn't flinch. It's been dead since.

I'm debating between getting the electrical working or trashing the power plant & fabbing in a Chinese mag based motor.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Karl
Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Upgrading the engine isn't a bad idea for a lot of reasons. You're looking at about $400-500 depending upon what you do with the exhaust. You'll still have to use your starter/gen because the clone won't keep your battery charged.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It only has ignitor and coil, they rarely go out and the rest hardly ever goes out. Could be a wiring fault as well, or a pedal switch, etc.

I would say stock is very reliable. A clone is lots of fun they have more power and do work well in the cart. But it is a project to put them in it takes time to get the exhaust and cables/controls hooked up. Vegas has kits now that help, and engines, but like I said its a project to swap over to any other engine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

For now I'm opting for a harness replacement. If it doesn't like that I'll stuff a a KZ600 drive train in there & see if that doesn't wake the ol' man up, LOL.

Actually, seeing as he's 82 now, that might be a bad idea. I'll see how the harness goes.

How would a malfunctioning starter/gen affect the ignitor? Possibly burn it out? I bought a good used ignitor and a new after market one after that.

Thought?

Karl
Old 10-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

For reference... Where's the best place for a decent priced, decent quality JG5 wire harness? When I get back from South Africa I'm gonna start cracking a whip again on this G9.

Thanks
K
Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
pYr8
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Upgrading the engine isn't a bad idea for a lot of reasons. You're looking at about $400-500 depending upon what you do with the exhaust. You'll still have to use your starter/gen because the clone won't keep your battery charged.
Slo-

I'm a fab kinda guy, exhaust is routable where ever. IF we go aftermarket 4-stroke, what HP would you suggest for an 82 YO daddy? Looking at 6.5HP & 13HP HF Preditor engines for an option...

Thanks
K
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha