lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2023, 08:49 PM   #1
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Parking brake 2003 ezgo

Parking brake latch is worn out. I can get a new one. The parts manual shows rivets-3/8 X 15/32 to connect pad. I have no way of making these work.

Is there a stainless steel bolt anyone knows that would work in the place of these rivets and not look out of place ? I would rather use rivets but don't want to try and find a tool to do it with. Maybe a press ?

The catch bracket is also worn out. I think I remember turning those around but can't remember if only one area is hard steel. I don't think they lasted when I did this.

I do have a new catch bracket but all I see is a date on it. I would assume I would install it where date shows if I looked up at it but again I can't remember if this piece is hard on both ends.

If I have to I will just buy the complete assembly. $231.72 . Maybe not
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parking brake.jpg (49.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg brake catch bracket.jpg (97.4 KB, 0 views)
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2023, 09:58 PM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Parking brake 2003 ezgo

I have never replaced a latch arm but have used a small grinder to tidy up the latch hook. I have also flipped the plates over to improve the latching successfully. I don't think any part is actually hardened either as I have also made my own plates with good results. Can't comment on any suitable bolts to replace rivets, but I am sure you will figure something out. If you are prepared to pay for new parts, the the correct tool for the rivets may be a cheaper option. Especially if flipping the cart, but I guess we are talking about a keeper here?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 10:11 PM   #3
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I have never replaced a latch arm but have used a small grinder to tidy up the latch hook. I have also flipped the plates over to improve the latching successfully. I don't think any part is actually hardened either as I have also made my own plates with good results. Can't comment on any suitable bolts to replace rivets, but I am sure you will figure something out.
I remember when I worked at a golf course years ago I used a grinder to tidy up the hook also. Don't remember how it turned out because I retired soon after I did this. I had a lift back then and was much younger. I don't have a lift at my shop plus I am a little older now I had rather replace it.

I have two complete used brake pedal pedals off the later models that I removed from parted out carts I have. I guess I could try one tomorrow. Its hard to look at the latch and see if its worn. A pain to install but I have replaced several.

I thought I had it fixed today. It latched good. When I starting pulling my doors down to go home I heard it unlatch
I will figure out something . If nothing else I will just put wheel chocks in the back of cart.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:23 PM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

So this must be your new keeper then? Are you sure you have the cable tension correct and the gas pedal knock off block is not out of line? Personally if everything else looks good, I would concentrate on the latch plate being worn. If however the latch arm pivot holes are worn oval, maybe drill the holes oversize and fit suitable pins or bolts? Are the rivets you mention just for the plastic pad? If so, I used an air powered rivets gun to secure these when replacing the pedal pads to get rid of golf shoe stud marks!
Old 04-20-2023, 10:43 PM   #5
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
So this must be your new keeper then? Are you sure you have the cable tension correct and the gas pedal knock off block is not out of line? Personally if everything else looks good, I would concentrate on the latch plate being worn. If however the latch arm pivot holes are worn oval, maybe drill the holes oversize and fit suitable pins or bolts? Are the rivets you mention just for the plastic pad? If so, I used an air powered rivets gun to secure these when replacing the pedal pads to get rid of golf shoe stud marks!
Its one of mine. 2003 TXT at my shop now.
The 1995 electric Medalist converted to plastic is in my basement. I got the brakes on it working great but it did take some time . My wife wants to keep it as she likes how nice and quiet it is. May have to put a Steel Cargo Box on it and sell my MPT 1200. I probably will just keep them all.

I think I have the cable tension correct. I have had this cart for three years and its was parked in my basement this winter. I walked by it one day and the parking brake was off. I couldn't get it to latch so I took it to my shop.
I removed the drums and looked at the shoes . They look like new so I started the process of adjusting everything like the manual said to.
The pedal block is set correct and I even replaced all the bushings. Set it the correct height from rubber stop bumper. Set free travel on pedal to 1 inch.
I had it at my shop for two years and it never did this. Brakes locked fine then. I guess gremlins got in it while in my basement .
Here is a picture of the one that is driving me back to using wire nuts
The latch is worn. I may just go ahead and order a new one but didn't want to pay $3.42 for three rivets if I can't install them. That's why I asked if anyone has ever used bolts.
The person that took my place at the golf course came by yesterday for a visit. He retired a few years ago and he said he thought he used bolts but like me he couldn't remember. I am 9 years older than him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rivets for parking brake.jpg (160.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg My 03 ezgo super white cart.jpg (234.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:48 PM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I think maybe CP has been in there looking for wire nuts and sabotaged your brakes
Old 04-20-2023, 10:55 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I think maybe CP has been in there looking for wire nuts and sabotaged your brakes
I saw signs he has been here. wire nut box was turned over and lots of them missing
Old 04-20-2023, 10:59 PM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just hope he was not there too long then and you can get your brakes sorted out. Gotta go to work now, catch you later!
Old 04-20-2023, 11:06 PM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Just hope he was not there too long then and you can get your brakes sorted out. Gotta go to work now, catch you later!
I will update you when I get it going. Over and out
Old 04-21-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Those are different than a regular rivet. You install those with a hammer.. It has a pin that gets pushed in and splits the back..

https://www.shopezgo.com/15766g1#/s/EZG//15766G1//1/y

Might want to look at this also
https://www.shopezgo.com/70274g01#/s/EZG//70274G01//1/y
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO