lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #41
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: New G1 Ignition Coil Ground question

It had been starting perfect. Now its turning over slower in forward and not starting the engine. Switch straight to reverse and engine fires up instantly.
For sure im being careful with the paint stripping. Might try sanding first.

I have to put some brake shoes on it as well, lol
tennbamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #42
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

The belt was slipping a little but that is not why its not starting. I tightened starter and belt. Turns over good now but its not starting in forward. Reverse fires up instantly. Thinking i may have to do a CDI.
Does the CDI send signal to magneto in both forward and reverse? If it does them separate i think i could swap the wires and then it would start in forward.

How do i test charging. I placed meter on battery while it was running in reverse and voltage jumped crazy and so fast i could not take voltage reading at battery while engine ran in reverse
Old 10-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #43
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
The belt was slipping a little but that is not why its not starting. I tightened starter and belt. Turns over good now but its not starting in forward. Reverse fires up instantly. Thinking i may have to do a CDI.
Does the CDI send signal to magneto in both forward and reverse? If it does them separate i think i could swap the wires and then it would start in forward.

How do i test charging. I placed meter on battery while it was running in reverse and voltage jumped crazy and so fast i could not take voltage reading at battery while engine ran in reverse
The CDI does produce the spark pulse in FWD & REV, but I think you’re correct about swapping wires. The ignition switch applies 12v to the W/R in FWD and 12v to the W/G in REV. Everything else stays the same. So… Swap the W/R & W/G at the CDI and see what happens.
As far as the voltage jumping around while the cart is running…. Not sure. Try it again. There’s a set of contacts in the Voltage Regulator (VR) that open and close upon demand. May it’s chattering a bit, but it should steady up.
AGELE55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #44
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGELE55 View Post
The CDI does produce the spark pulse in FWD & REV, but I think you’re correct about swapping wires. The ignition switch applies 12v to the W/R in FWD and 12v to the W/G in REV. Everything else stays the same. So… Swap the W/R & W/G at the CDI and see what happens.
As far as the voltage jumping around while the cart is running…. Not sure. Try it again. There’s a set of contacts in the Voltage Regulator (VR) that open and close upon demand. May it’s chattering a bit, but it should steady up.

AGELE55 I didn’t know this it’s wonderful information! man if you could draw up and simplify the starting and charging systems separately and how it flows I think a lot of us here could use that
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:22 AM   #45
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Gor sure AGELE55 is a world of information and has been a lot of help to me trying to get my buggy going.
I did swap the red / white wire and the green / white wire but i did not get any different results. I did this swap at the first connectors coming from the CDI box. after swapping wires the Buggy continued to start instantly in reverse but although it turned over fine in the forward position the engine still did not start. I was figuring the no start would have moved to the reverse side.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #46
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well, the good news is your CDI is good..lol
Time to recheck for spark in FWD..
Old 10-11-2021, 11:30 AM   #47
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

checked ohms on both green / white wire and red / white wire and both checked .04 and .03 respectfully. I will pull plug and check for spark? Can i also check voltage going to coil ignition while its spinning?
Old 10-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #48
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Update; I took plug out and grounded it. Put ignition in reverse and depressed gas pedal and as starter turned over had lots stead of spark at plug. Doin the same test with exception to key being in forward the plug produced no spark. Swapped it back and forth several times and result was the same. perfect and steady spark in reverse and no spark in forward.

Pug plug back in and placed voltage meter lead on connector going into coil and other lead on battery negative and performed voltage test. Voltage was very obvious in reverse and bounced everywhere. in Forward, it read nothing.
Im for sure not getting any signal sent to starting coil and or spark plug in the forward
starting position although motor turns over good.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #49
AGELE55
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennbamaman View Post
Update; I took plug out and grounded it. Put ignition in reverse and depressed gas pedal and as starter turned over had lots stead of spark at plug. Doin the same test with exception to key being in forward the plug produced no spark. Swapped it back and forth several times and result was the same. perfect and steady spark in reverse and no spark in forward.

Pug plug back in and placed voltage meter lead on connector going into coil and other lead on battery negative and performed voltage test. Voltage was very obvious in reverse and bounced everywhere. in Forward, it read nothing.
Im for sure not getting any signal sent to starting coil and or spark plug in the forward
starting position although motor turns over good.
Let’s start again with the basics. Turn the key to FWD and see if you have 12v on the R/W wire at the CDI and the magneto. It WAS working…so what’d you leave unplugged?…LOL
Old 10-11-2021, 07:29 PM   #50
tennbamaman
Getting Wild
Yamaha

lol, its dark in bama but im tempted to go with flash light lol. i will check the r/w wire at the CDI and magneto ASAP. I will test with and without pedal pushed. Im guessing the pedal needs to be pushed for voltage to register

I hope its that easy i left something unplugged lol. For sure it can and has happened, lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha