lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #141
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Converting to Lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi3cho View Post
Great, that clears that up for me pretty well. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it. When you say the stock motor wont last very long, are we talking a few months, a few years or really just a crap shoot? Decisions, Decisions. I am leaning towards picking up new FLA batteries for now and then I will upgrade the controller and hopefully by the time it is due for new batteries I can upgrade to lithium at 48v's. Then if the motor makes it that long, I can upgrade the motor then. I guess we will see. I probably should have read up on the carts more before I purchased. I was under the impression I had a turn key cart with a few years to decide on my future batteries.
It is basically a crap shoot, but your 23" tall tires work the motor harder and lowers the odds considerably and your motor is already 15 years old, so it could fail tomorrow, or it might last for several more years.

Ironically, 48V is easier on the motor than 36V is because heat kills motors and it takes 1/3 fewer amps to generate the same amount of torque. The efficiency of a sepex motor ranges from about 60% up to about 85% and the amps not converted to torque are converted to heat. The tricky part is that the heat is produced at a rate equal to the square of the amps, so doubling the amps through the motor quadruples the amount of heat generated!!!

Plan ahead and get a controller, solenoid and cables that will work with 36V now and will also work with a higher voltage later. (Cables aren't voltage specific, but 8V batteries have both terminals on same side, so longer cables are needed to connect them together.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #142
DaveTM
Gone Wild

BTW.....FWIW......and not to re-direct the flow of the post....BUT......

A while back in the post I found where a 100amp "pack" could be had for $3,225. That link sent the 'puter to Elite Power Solutions. When I click that link now....the page is not there.

However, this link https://www.elitepowersolutions.com/...attery-system/ does take you to a page where it states they have a "drop 'n drive" unit(s) for EZ-GO, and Club Cars.

However, when I go to their listed distributors, most or all out west, I found only one distributor that has it listed on their web site, and there is no price listed.

I post this for general "yeah and" discussion only.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:54 AM   #143
Azshuttle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hello, what a fantastic thread. I have a 2004 ezgo shuttle that has 4 rows. Long story short my batteries are almost toast and I would like to dive into the Lithium world. I am looking at utilizing a local guy that I'm assuming Rwalsh77 has also used. My question is how many sections/blocks of 48AH chevy volt batteries would I need for such a heavy cart?
Thanks again for the valuable information!!
Azshuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #144
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would go with a 96AH pack if you use Volt batteries.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #145
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I had something interesting happen recently. I have the 2300 wh turn key pack I got from EVBatterycenter.com. I got their 4a charger and was told that it would not engage if I let pack voltage drop below 36v so I tried to keep it above 38v. Last week it was raining and I got in a hurry. Pack voltage was 37v. I drove a 1/4 mile to where I park it and voltage was 34v. Being concerned about the charger I found another lithium charger that would engage at lower voltage. I got to the cart this week and voltage showed 29v. I hit the pedal and cart moved but pretty slow. After a couple hundred yards it would not move and I had to push it to where I could charge it. I plugged the 1.8amp charger in and it showed charging and voltage immediately started rising. I called a bud and asked him to check on the charger periodically. Yesterday it hit a termination voltage of 41.7v and charger shut off.

I talked to Neli at EVbatterycenter and was told these packs do not have a straight discharge curve and the voltage pretty much drops dramatically after 37v. Now you tell me.

Is there such a thing as a SOC chart for lithium battery packs?
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:14 AM   #146
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes there is a SOC chart. I made my own and it's included in my display on the dash. I got the curves from the Nissan Leaf battery info and coded it up my self. You should never let it get that low though or you will damage the cells. I limit mine to about 3.6V per cell minimum which is plenty conservative. As you found out it drops like a stone when it gets much lower than that.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:29 AM   #147
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Yes there is a SOC chart. I made my own and it's included in my display on the dash. I got the curves from the Nissan Leaf battery info and coded it up my self. You should never let it get that low though or you will damage the cells. I limit mine to about 3.6V per cell minimum which is plenty conservative. As you found out it drops like a stone when it gets much lower than that.
Is your cart 36v? My pack is from the Nissan Leaf cells also.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #148
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My cart was originally 48V I have a 14 module pack which is roughly 56V fully charged. It would be at 50.4V when the cells are at 3.6Volts.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #149
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
I limit mine to about 3.6V per cell minimum which is plenty conservative. As you found out it drops like a stone when it gets much lower than that.
I was using 36v for my 10S pack but that obviously doesn't work for me. I plan on keeping it at 38v in the future. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #150
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

For 10S 36V would be an ok minimum. Your max is going to be a little over 40V if you fully charge the 10S pack. (full charge is 4.2V per cell)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO