lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Options for Honda gx

I have an opportunity to get a Honda GX690 for a good deal. Price is great but the catch is the shaft. I am trying to figure out what can be used other than removing it and turning to specs needed for a clutch to fit.

The crank shaft is 1-7/16" diameter and 4-1/4" long. The motor is new but the shaft is set up for a skid loader application. It's 3/8" keyed and has a 9/16" fine thread at end.

Anyone have a thought if there is a clutch to fit this shaft that will work on a Yammy G16? I really don't want to remove the crank and have it machine since the 3/8 key probably wont work with anything and finding a new bolt to fit.

Also, is it possible that I could swap cranks say with a GX630 or GX670 crank with a 1" diameter crank that will work in the GX690. Been searching on the internet and can't find much..
MrNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
pleighdammet
Professional jerry rigger

Club Car

Default Re: Options for Honda gx

Turn the dia of the shaft and put the 1/4 key 180 degrees off the other key. Problem solved, problem staying solved. The thread at the end would get cut off but with the hole size bigger would need a helicoil in it. Easy peasey. Don't fear it
pleighdammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Are you saying cut a 1/4" key on the other side of the shaft. If so how would I do that? Cutting off the end to make it shorter is no big deal and putting a helicoil in it is easy.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
pleighdammet

Club Car

Sure. The other key way would be too shallow to work obviously after turning. Ignore what's left rotate it 180 and have the machine shop put the new key in the other side. The open gap of the old key way will not affect it. 25 yr machinist. I've done this on other shafts many times

Are you sure it's a 9/16 bolt? Or is a 9/16 wrench u use on the bolt. That's a huge diameter bolt for such a small engine

Last edited by pleighdammet; 02-27-2015 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Added bolt question
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The guy that has the engine said 9/16 bolt fine threads. I coukd get a bolt to work if a helicoil won't work.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Got a reply back from QDS and they can provide a Salsbury Model 1190 CVT clutch 1-7/16" bore and 3/8 keyway. $495. It might work out other than the bolt and length.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
pleighdammet

Club Car

Go with simple. Machine work would be an added cost and everything would end up about the same. Enjoy the build. Post lots of pictures
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That's what I'm considering. Pulling crank and getting it machined is going to cost close to having a clutch made by QDS. Still have few other things to work out. I should know more by the beginning of the week. If it goes forward then I'll do a build post.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
MrNeon
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ok, going with a new GX630..the 690 with the long shaft and odd diameter was too much cost for machining it as well as having a custom machined clutch.

Now, next issue stock clutch off my Yamaha with and adapter and cut the shaft down a bit or a CVTech Powerbloc clutch. I can get it NOS but is says it takes a 1-1/8" belt while the Yamaha use a 1-3/16" belt.

Would I lose HP if I used a 1-3/16" belt matching my driven clutch? This clutch seems to be pretty beefy and is set up to engage at 1500 rpm and top out at 3000 but its fully adjustable.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
TheGDFP
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

How good a deal is the 690? I have a lathe... :)
TheGDFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!